Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Media_Guy
Binge Watcher

Re: Remote drains batteries in a matter of days

I am confused by your response as the Roku remote model RC 833 I use requires AAA batteries there is no USB connection. Perhaps you meant to respond to somebody else.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We apologize for the confusion, @DrD69!

May we know what Roku device you are using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify)

Thanks,                                                                                                                                                John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Media_Guy
Binge Watcher

The new device model 3941x2 Roku Express 4K+ was purchased and setup in November 2023.  Current Roku Software is 12.5.5 - build 4174-E4

Remote is RC-833 firmware rtn.4246

Current battery level 71% fresh batteries installed March 6th

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Media_Guy 

Thanks for keeping us posted.

We're sorry to hear about the difficulties you've encountered with your Roku remote, this is not the experience we want you to have. Kindly be advised that we have sent you a private message here in the Roku Community. Please check your inbox by navigating to the upper right corner of your browser with the mail icon since we've reached you from there.

We hope to hear back from you.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JP980

Literally did what Emissary35 just mentioned would happen.  Re-pairing makes no difference.  I woul like to hear how the issue is being addressed, not a set of troubleshooting instructions which people have been following for literally years now that have not made a difference yet.  It is starting to become widely known that the remotes are a problem.  I will not ever recommend a roku to anyone ever again, and not because of the remote issue,  but because of the response, or complete lack thereof to the issue.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JP980,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to investigate further this issue that you're having with the Roku remote. Could you elaborate more about the troubleshooting steps that you have taken so far?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                                      John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for the post, @Emissary35!

We have sent you a private message here in the Roku Community. Kindly check your inbox.

We'll wait for your response.

Regards,                                                                                                                                                    John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Media_Guy
Binge Watcher

It's been 2 weeks since March 6th, today is March 20th. See image of current battery level at 52% from 100% 14 days ago.

Please note that particular Roku unit has been mostly idle for 5 days with very little usage.

1000004076.jpg

BipolarGirl48
Binge Watcher

You need to invest in rechargeable batteries.  but I found a solution after same issue.  make sure you push remote power button off also u need good batteries like new Duracell optimum 4x boost they last forever ive had same ones now going on 2 months but rechargeable batteries and the pack to charge are like 15 bucks for charger an 4 batteries or

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

@Media_Guy Your batteries have lost half it's charge in two weeks that is pathetic. And with little Roku usage you say, I've had the same problem. It's because the remotes are always draining the batteries even when you aren't using the Roku at all.

You would notice a huge difference if you removed the batteries from the remote when you aren't using your Roku and only put them in when you are using it. I've been doing this for a while and it makes a huge difference.

I know it's ridiculous to have to resort to that because Roku can't make a remote that works properly, but give it a try and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.