Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote design - did anybody actually want a rechargeable remote?

All the Roku branded tv's released last year all came with headphone jack voice remote that takes AA batteries. Also the Roku Streambar Pro comes with this kind of remote too. The Roku tvs relased in 2024 come with Voice Pro 2 remotes which are rechargeable. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Emissary35
Roku Guru

You shouldn't be forced into getting a rechargeable remote if you don't want to. There are a lot of problems with these Roku rechargeable voice remotes not holding a charge and draining too quickly. Or dying and won't charge at all, there are many discussions here about it. All that is avoided if you can simply put in batteries.

Portalogem
Roku Guru

This is probably a terrible reply @pronator and I'm truly sorry if you or others don't like it at all, but this is what I would do to solve the dilemma of not being able to use my Roku remote because it's charging. I'd buy another one here so that one is always charged and use that one while the other one is charging. Problem solved?

Update: Unless I'm wrong, it appears that the new Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd edition) doesn't have a headphone jack, so be aware of that if you do go ahead and purchase another one. If this is true, it appears that Roku may be getting rid of the headphone jack on their newer generation remotes. They also removed the two programable buttons on this newest remote. I've read that the quick launch (rocket) button replaces at least one of the program buttons and the guide button can also be reprogramed if you can figure out how to do that. 

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Removing the headphone jack is not an improvement, it is the removal of a useful feature. I know the first thing people will do is rush to defend this move by saying you can pair bluetooth headphones to your Roku. My response is so what? It would be better if you could do both and you don't need to remove the headphone jack from the remote to also support bluetooth listening.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Those wanting AA battery headphone Roku remote could do searches on ebay for RC-AL9 or RC-EL3 remotes. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
MrXxx
Roku Guru

@pronator it wasn't an argument. It was an answer to the question you asked in the subject line.😉

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos