Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Remote buggy, only works when it wants!

As if all the other issues aren't bad enough, now my remote sometimes hears me and goes to where it should, many other times, it either tells me it can't hear me, and to pair it again, or it will take me somewhere else altogether!  I've paired it several times, but that's not it, because it has sometimes worked, AFTER telling me it can't hear, and to pair it! 

Plus, it will sometimes (too often) simply not be responsive!  I scroll through hundreds of channels, find the one I wan, and hit the OK button, NOTHING HAPPENS! Or it will often, just bounce  back to the previous station, hundreds of numbers away! The batteries are fine, and usually I'm forced to power off, then power on again, for it to work at least enough to change to a new channel I've gone to, but even then, not always. I've also never had a remote be so inconsistent & dysfunctional, even really old ones, this is ridiculous.  Will there be a fix, in new OS update? Oh, and when it does go to another channel, or if I hit the previous channel button, there's a good 5 - 7 second lag, before anything happens!  I could go on, but this is enough for tonight...

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
ethyss
Streaming Star

Re: Remote buggy, only works when it wants!

My remote, paired with Ultra in my master bedroom, has an earphone jack that worked for a few years.  However now, whenever I plug in the earphones - which came packaged with the Ultra - it totally disables the remote AND stops whatever is playing!  The remote cannot even turn off the TV!   I cannot hear anything thru the earphones.  BUT it spontaneously re-boots Roku!!!  I've checked the batteries, and re-paired the remote --- nothing changes.

Do I now have to buy a new remote and/or Ultra?  Feels very scammy.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@ethyss, you don't give the model number (which is always better than the name), but if you have an Ultra with a microSD slot and you have a card inserted try removing it.  I could be misremembering or confusing two issues, but I seem to recall some problem with remotes and microSD cards.  Whether headphones were involved I really can't remember.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Mine is a remote with voice activation, paired with a TCL Roku TV.  Sometimes the voice command works, 2/3 of the time it tells me it can't hear me, and to try pairing again, then it will work a few times, then the error window again. I've paired it several times, I did a system reset, then paired it again, and it seemed to work for a few hours. Now, it's playing one channel, but giving me the program information of a different channel! And I don't know if it switched, so the channel that should be here, is actually where the other one is, becuase if I try to use either voice or scrolling to the channel, it won't change, so I could see what's on it! This is a friffin mess! Every time I turn it on, something's acting weird, or not at all. 

Plus, sometimes I'll be watching something, and every 5 to 10 minutes everything goes dark, until about 10 seconds later, over & over & over again!!   WTF????

0 Kudos