Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
N1c0le60

Remote battery drain is a known hardware issue!

Yes i had to do some research too cause im like im going through batteries waaayyyy to fast and roku definitely needs to fix this and find a solution asap 

5 REPLIES 5
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote battery drain is a known hardware issue!

Hi, @N1c0le60

Delighted to have you with us in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for sharing this information with us, and we'd like to ask for further details so we can determine the next course of action to take in assisting you. May we know what model of your Roku remote you are having issues with (Roku Simple, Roku Voice, Roku Voice Remote Pro)? Also, what specific feature do you often use with your Roku remote?

We hope to hear back from you.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
Jewelreef
Reel Rookie

I’ll answer because I’m having the same problem. These remotes drain (couldn’t use words I wanted to) through batteries about every three to four months. I have a Roku voice remote. And by the way, even if the remote is not being used (guest bedroom), they also drain when not even being used. At this rate I probably could have already replaced two of the sticks with what I have spent on batteries. 

0 Kudos
Pdgorman

I have an older model Roku: 4200x and the remote eats batteries! (It is nuts how often they suddenly go dead when the house is all dark and we are settled into bed at night… so I keep extra AA batteries in my bedside table).  They last about 4-5 days and then the 3% battery warning starts popping up on my TV.  

if it matters, I plug headphones into the remote jack so I don’t disturb the sleeping husband. They aren’t fancy headphones that would be expected to draw power… just some wired earbuds. I love this feature and so I was buying batteries in bulk! I just popped a set of rechargeable batteries into the outlet so hopefully that will save me some cost in the long run…

But, I sure would like to know how to fix this problem!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Pdgorman, it matters.  Are you removing the headphones when you're finished watching?  If not, it will drain the batteries as long as they're connected.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Warmest welcome here in the Roku Community, @Pdgorman!

Our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. 

In this case, please be aware that Roku remotes are designed to go the distance, but there are a few things that will drain a remote a bit faster...

• Heavy usage of private listening on the remote itself--using the mobile app will save your batteries!
  • Congested Wi-Fi network around the device--the reason for this is that most remotes will use RF to connect to your Roku player and constant reconnection will use more battery.
  • Or viewing lots of short-form content, like YouTube, where a streamer could go through a few hundred button presses in an hour.

We hope this clears everything out. 

Happy Streaming!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator