Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SK-Pete
Binge Watcher

Remote OK button now jumps to last channel

Jump to solution

Somewhere around Dec 2023, my remote OK button started acting differently.  It used to be that I could use the OK button to pause or resume a show.  It still works to pause 100% of the time, but sometimes the resume jumps be back to the last channel I was watching.  When it does that, I can briefly see an icon pop up that looks like an arrow going in a reverse circle.  This shows it is an intentional feature.  Is this an accidental beta-test release?  It is not consistent either, so that makes it more annoying.  Sometimes I have to go down into the "last watched" section and select the show I was previously watching because the OK button does not return to the first show.  It is VERY frustrating.

Note that I have an older remote paired with this TV and its OK button NEVER causes this action.  

Years ago when we had FIOS, the remote had a dedicated button to return to last channel and we loved it, but this implementation is bad.  Do NOT used the OK button to return to a previous channel and expect us to use the play/pause button to do all the play/pause.  When the lights are out, the OK button is very easy to find and use, but the play/pause button is not.  Taking away play/pause from the OK button would be a terrible mistake.  If you do implement a feature like that, let us control a setting in the streaming box that lets us enable or disable that feature.

*This if for the new remote that recharges via the USB port.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote OK button now jumps to last channel

Jump to solution

There was cord cutters article that said you tube tv was working on this, if you hold the ok key it would work as a last channel command. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
renojim

Jump to solution

What app are you using when this happens?  It could be that it's intentional from the developer which most likely isn't Roku, although I would think every remote would act the same on the same Roku device.  That would lead me to believe that the remote could be faulty.  The "arrow in a reverse circle" is the symbol that generally pops up when you press the Instant Replay button which looks the same as the symbol that you've said pops up.  Some people seem to think that button is "previous channel", but that's only because the developer of the app decided to override the normal function.

I'm making some assumptions, but based on your description it sounds like you're not using "The Roku Channel" which is one of the very, very, few apps that Roku is responsible for and the app you're using uses the Instant Replay button as "previous channel".  It appears that the OK button on that remote is sometimes registering as Instant Replay and that's why it's going to the previous channel.

Most of your comments about how the app should function should most likely be directed at the developer of whatever app you're using.

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

There was cord cutters article that said you tube tv was working on this, if you hold the ok key it would work as a last channel command. 

Edmund

SK-Pete
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I do indeed use YoutubeTV, and another answer said there is a note about this same thing somewhere.  The odd thing is that it does not happen on my other two Roku boxes and it does not happen with my other remote attached to this box. 

When I use the "instant replay" button, a tiny reverse arrow circle is displayed, but when the OK button "malfunctions", a large one appears.  

I wonder if this new remote control has a new code for the ok button and YouTubeTV is reacting to the new code in one way and the old code in another.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
SK-Pete
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I do indeed use YoutubeTV. The odd thing is that it does not happen on my other two Roku boxes and it does not happen with my other remote attached to this box.  I will hunt around for YouTubeTV discussions, thanks.

Thanks

0 Kudos
SK-Pete
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I chatted with YouTubeTV and at first the person insisted there was no Last Channel feature.  I sent him the cord cutters link and then he did research.  He said that a beta copy is being released to some customers.  I asked to be put on the beta test team since I am a software nerd and like that kind of stuff.

It is still very odd that only one of the remotes causes it, will be interest to find out why.  The help guy also said to try and reinstall the app, which I will do, but have little fait in.

0 Kudos
Ohioborn
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am experienced the same issue. My one remote now has a previous back button. It is the OK button. If I just quickly push the OK button it pauses the show. I’m watching. But if I hold it for over a second it goes back to the previous channel I was watching. But it’s only working for one of my Roku remote and TV. 

RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @SK-Pete @Ohioborn,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We'd like to know more about the situation that you are currently experiencing. Is this happening on all contents and channels, or is this isolated to the YouTube channel only? Have you tried restarting your system to see if it fixes the issue?

We'll be waiting for your updates.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ohioborn
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes, it seems to be on You Tube TV. The remote that it is working on is a Phillips Roku TV. That is the only thing different from my other Roku remotes. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@Ohioborn,

Thanks for the update!

Have you tried removing and restarting your device, then reinstalling it to see if that helps?

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos