Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Remote Battery Warning Won’t Stop Flashing on Screen

These Roku remotes are a bad design plain and simple. The only Roku remotes that work properly are the simple IR remotes that you don't pair to your Roku and never had private listening. With those remotes you can use two AAA batteries for pretty much an entire year before having to replace them and since they don't get paired to your Roku the battery indicator never pops up on the screen, because the Roku doesn't know the battery level.

It's the enhanced voice remotes that are the problem, they drain batteries way to fast and then you get spamming of your TV screen with battery level warnings that you can't disable. The best thing you can do is use one of the standard IR remotes or get a universal streaming player remote that works with Roku to control TV volume and power. This way you'll get the most out of your batteries and you'll never get any messages popping up onscreen about your battery level. Unfortunately that option won't work if you have a streaming stick because it goes behind your TV and there is no line of sight to your remote, but if you have a Roku player on your TV stand IR remotes are the better option.

In my opinion Roku needs to completely redesign these voice remotes because there is a terrible design flaw somewhere in the hardware, killing your batteries too quickly and then the pop up annoyances on your screen constantly telling you your battery level when you don't want to see it. Roku won't even update the remote settings so you can turn the battery notification off, Roku just doesn't care. Their solution is always to ask for your serial number, ask you to factory reset your Roku, unpair and repair your remote or sometimes send you a new remote which also doesn't work properly.

The moderators on here who monitor all of these remote issues just seem to be going down the same troubleshooting script of steps that don't work and if they do actually report the issues to the people responsible for designing the remotes they don't seem to care. It's such a shame because Roku is a great product but the remotes are completely flawed, after many years nothing has changed, not very encouraging for a company to still have these issues after so many complaints and no real solutions have been implemented.

Rechargeable voice remote battery status shows every 10 seconds

The green status indicator on my rechargeable voice remote that came with my Roku streaming device blinks 5 times every 10 seconds or so.  The screen displays the battery status when this happens.  Terribly annoying.

I have tried cycling power to the Roku, charging the remote and re pairing.  Nothing fixes the problem.

Remote control battery status keeps displaying

Voice remote pro, second remote purchased for TV. Battery low messages started displaying after a month of use. Charged remote. Display will show not go away. I’ve tried every troubleshooting tip I can find online. Battery showed full charge yesterday, now is in the red. I went to Settings/Remote/About. No serial number displayed. Firmware version “rtn.4186.”

I think the remote is defective. If I return it will the same problem persist?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote control battery status keeps displaying

Hi @0110,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device that is paired with your Roku Voice Remote Pro.

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
lmurdock
Reel Rookie

This is a fatal flaw and makes the product unusable. It gives me pause buying other Roku products. So far noone from the company has responded to this string of posts . 

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @lmurdock

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We would recommend trying to reset the remote to see if that helps regarding the issue you are experiencing. The pairing button is located on the back of the remote, please remove the battery cover and you should be able to see the small button. Let's try to Reset the remote by holding the pairing button for 20 seconds then pair it back again

If this issue is not resolved, please provide us with the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll be able to pass along your information to our Support team to assist you further.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
missmay148

We had this issue and finally got super frustrated - had to contact support and get it replaced. Warning, even if it is brand new (which ours was) you have to pay to return it so they can ship you a new one. The online support was helpful though, they walked us through all the options before deciding it couldn't be fixed.

jjespejo
Reel Rookie

That worked for me. Held button for 20 seconds. Msgs stopped

0 Kudos
lmurdock
Reel Rookie

Which button? Thank you 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @lmurdock,

Thanks for following up.

We understand that you are concerned about where to find the pairing button so you can reset your Roku Voice Remote Pro, is that correct?

Please be advised that the pairing button of the Roku Voice Remote Pro is located at the back of the remote. Kindly see the photo below: 

You can visit this Support article for detailed instructions on how to pair your Roku remote:

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos