Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thebigq

Remote control battery life

Jump to solution

I’m a new user and I’ve replaced the remote batteries twice since I set up the Roku. I seem to get maybe, MAYBE a month out of the batteries. One thing I’ve discovered is that the Roku never turns off, whatever is running at the time you hit the off button continues to run. If you’re on a streaming service that automatically goes to the next episode in a series the next time you turn on your set you might be into the next season of your program!

Does the remote monitor the Roku device at all times? That would explain poor battery life. Exceedingly poor engineering unless the purpose is spying on us.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote control battery life

Jump to solution

I think only the gaming remotes with A & B buttons and which are no longer made have accelerometers.

A year?!  There's people complaining that their batteries don't last more than 2 weeks.  If you're getting a few months out of a set of batteries you're doing pretty good.  That's for the Voice remotes.  The simple remotes, which many TVs come with, should have pretty good battery life, but I don't know about a year.  I know that I don't replace batteries often enough to think about how long they last.  I thankfully haven't had one of the battery eating remotes, but I've always suspected that there's an environmental cause behind a lot of the occurrences.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote control battery life

Jump to solution

I think only the gaming remotes with A & B buttons and which are no longer made have accelerometers.

A year?!  There's people complaining that their batteries don't last more than 2 weeks.  If you're getting a few months out of a set of batteries you're doing pretty good.  That's for the Voice remotes.  The simple remotes, which many TVs come with, should have pretty good battery life, but I don't know about a year.  I know that I don't replace batteries often enough to think about how long they last.  I thankfully haven't had one of the battery eating remotes, but I've always suspected that there's an environmental cause behind a lot of the occurrences.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos