Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Masons29

ROKU REMOTE - POWER BUTTON & VOLUME BUTTONS DONT WORK ON NEW REMOTE

Why does my roku remote work all except for the volume and power buttons ?

I recently bought a new roku remote. It paired immediately, no problem. But, since the pairing everything works on the remote except it will not change the volume and the power button does not work. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: ROKU REMOTE - POWER BUTTON & VOLUME BUTTONS DONT WORK ON NEW REMOTE

Have you gone to the remote settings and programmed the remote to control your TV brand? It's a fairly simple process. If you've done that and it still won't control your TV then you might have a bigger problem and I'd suggest unpairing and pairing the remote again.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Masons29-

The power, volume, and mute buttons on WiFi-Direct Roku remotes send the appropriate signals to your TV via line of sight infrared (IR) signals. Different TVs have different sets of IR codes they accept, so you have to set up the remote to send the correct code set for YOUR TV.

Roku menu path:
"Settings -> Remotes & devices > Remotes"
At this point if your remote has already been setup for the TV but you need to reset it, arrow down to select your Remote (in use).
Now select "Set up remote for TV control" .. And follow the prompts.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos

I followed these directions on my VIZIO TV exactly, but the step “do you hear music” the answer is “NO”. Seems the IR codes are not recv’d or sent so I can’t proceed. What now?

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @budette2020,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We'll be glad to assist you with setting up your Roku remote. Please be advised that if, during the setup process, you cannot hear the music playing after increasing volume using the TV remote (with fresh batteries), you'll need to make sure all devices connected to your Roku device support audio over HDMI. For example, many overhead projectors do not have speakers. It may also help that you power-cycle your Roku device (unplug and replug from the wall outlet), update the software, and restart your system.

For more details, you can also check out this support article on why your Roku voice remote is not controlling power and volume on your TV and why you can't hear mu....

Let us know how it goes, and we'll be glad to further assist you.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.