Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CWJardine
Binge Watcher

Power, volume, and mute buttons suddenly stopped working on rechargeable voice remote

I have a rechargeable voice Roku remote purchased in October or November 2022.  Has been working great with an older Sony Bravia since then.  Yesterday the mute & volume buttons stopped working, and today I can't power the TV on or off either.  I've unplugged it and plugged it in again, restarted the system, checked for updates, re-paired the remote (now it says it can't be paired for volume control but it was before!), tried setting up the remote as a new device...everything I've seen suggested for other users with this problem.  Nothing has worked.  The Home button still works as do the arrows and all other functions.  Voice commands work for everything BUT on/off, volume, and muting.  I have to use the TV's remote for those things.  Is there anything else I can try?  This remote isn't that old!  I also made sure it's fully charged.  It's so maddening to have to use another remote for these functions.

0 Kudos
36 REPLIES 36
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Power, volume, and mute buttons suddenly stopped working on rechargeable voice remote

I've had a similar problem. Check the Roku remote settings and check whether it's on IR mode or CEC mode. If you were using CEC mode it might have stopped working because that happened with my TV, suddenly it decides it can't function and I had to switch it to IR mode to get the volume buttons to work. These remotes are very unreliable, one minute they are fine then suddenly they have issues.

CWJardine
Binge Watcher

Re: Power, volume, and mute buttons suddenly stopped working on rechargeable voice remote

Thanks for this.  I've tried both IR and CEC and it only tries 1 code then says "sorry, we can't connect this device to your TV for volume control" or something like that.  I'll keep trying!

0 Kudos
Pablo23

Same thing has happened to me. My TV is Vizio. All functions worked two days ago now the tv power and volume controls don’t work. I’ve tried all the troubleshooting guides, repareing, resetting and rebooting, nothing works. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Pablo23,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for keeping us posted!

We understand you're having a problem with your Roku remote since the power and volume buttons stopped working. We're happy to assist you further. Kindly send us a private message here.

To send a private message:

1. Sign in to the community.
  2. Click the message count or envelope icon to go to your Private Messages Inbox.
  3. Click Compose New Message.
  4. Enter the recipient's name in the Send to area.
  5. Note: Depending on your role in the community, you might be able to send a message to a group of users based on their role or rank in the community. If so, you can choose a role or a rank.
  6. Enter the subject for the message in the Message Subject area.
  7. Type the reply in the Message Body editor.
  8. Click Send Message.
  9. You can look for the messages you've sent in the Sent tab.

To learn more about how to send a private message, click this community link: Help: Roku Community
We'll be anticipating it!

Thanks,                                                                                                                                              John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Joe1002

I have encountered the same issue with a battery powered voice remote.  Unit was working fine with my Insignia TV.  Now, the volume, mute and power buttons don't work.  Installed fresh batteries and went through all the remote setup steps numerous times. No luck. I guess I'll have to rely on my TV remote for those functions.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Joe1002,

From the Roku Community, greetings!

We value the efforts being made to find a solution, and we would like to help with this remote issue.

Could you please share with us the model # for this? This can usually be found at the back of the battery compartment.

Please keep us posted!

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CWJardine
Binge Watcher

My rechargeable remote does not have a serial number, but the Roku device serial number is S0083167VD2D   Model # is 393OX

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @CWJardine,

Thanks for the update and for getting back to us!

Could you tell us if this is the remote that came along with that device?

Keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CWJardine
Binge Watcher

Yes, it's the remote that came with the device.

0 Kudos