Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeremyE
Reel Rookie

Power Button is only remote button NOT working

Jump to solution

Hi,

Just bought another Roku for my living room tv.  I have the 4K+ with fancy remote and went through set up:

It identified my Onkyo and controls the volume and mute.

I had to let it try 4 codes on my Vizio before it turned off the music and accepted the TV.

The volume controls the Onkyo.  All other buttons work.

****The POWER button doesn't turn anything on or off. ****

I've read this forum and gone through the remote configuration repeatedly.  No workey.

Help!

Thank you,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Power Button is only remote button NOT working [SOLUTION]

Jump to solution

Hi @Lorif,

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for sharing your experience about this.

We'd like to know if you have successfully set up the remote to control your TV. If you haven't yet, you may refer to our troubleshooting steps below.

1. Press Home home button on Roku remote on your Roku voice remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Remotes & devices
  4. Select Remote
  5. Choose your voice remote from the list and select Set up remote for TV control

Setting up TV power and volume control - main settings page

6. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process

Or if this has been performed, please get back here so that we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Power Button is only remote button NOT working

Jump to solution

@JeremyE 

Sometimes there are situations where TV manufacturers have similar code sets. In those situations, you could have a remote with one code set controlling some things, but not others. That may be what's happening with your situation.

First, you do not need to re-pair the device. That will accomplish nothing.

My suggestion is to do exactly what you did. I thought through the steps that I would normally suggest in this situation, and you've already done those. You tried additional code sets for that brand, so I don't need to tell you how to do that.

Try again, from the beginning. Ensure you didn't accidentally skip a code set along the way. Everything you have done to this point looks to be exactly what to do. I'm simply suggesting to do it again. Just take care to ensure nothing was skipped.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Power Button is only remote button NOT working

Jump to solution

I’m not sure if the OP has tried lying.  ie: if saying – “yes the music stopped” doesn’t give you the codeset that fully works, you tell it the music did not stop so it tries later codes.

JeremyE
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had to go into my Vizio settings and ENABLE the CEC Control.  It then showed my receiver, TV and ROKU as CEC enable devices.  The POWER button on the remote now turns all of them off and on.  YAY!

0 Kudos
Lorif

Jump to solution

I have TV and Roku set to CEC on, but I still can’t turn the TV on or off with the remote. Any other ideas? 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Lorif,

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for sharing your experience about this.

We'd like to know if you have successfully set up the remote to control your TV. If you haven't yet, you may refer to our troubleshooting steps below.

1. Press Home home button on Roku remote on your Roku voice remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Remotes & devices
  4. Select Remote
  5. Choose your voice remote from the list and select Set up remote for TV control

Setting up TV power and volume control - main settings page

6. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process

Or if this has been performed, please get back here so that we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
Gerome

Jump to solution

How did you get to vizio setting ? 

0 Kudos