Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jojo3468
Reel Rookie

Potential email scam regarding personal info for replacement device

Back in July of last year I reached out to support regarding a issue with my roku device not powering on while  after apower outage. The emails was from  customersupport@roku.com. I believe I got the email from doing the customer support chat. It was a while ago can't remember. The emails was spaced apart The final email  asked for my phone number email and address so a replacementdevice can be sent. I still have the emails but never received anything in the mail. And haven't gotten a email response since. So it became out of sight out of mind.The roku links in the email take me directly to the website which make me believe it's legit.. I provided that information asked and now it has me concerned.. the last email is from  December of last year. 

I didn't think to post here until now

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Potential email scam regarding personal info for replacement device

Hi @Jojo3468,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!
We will be more than happy to take a closer look at this issue. May we know what Roku device you are using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify) What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
Jojo3468
Reel Rookie

It was for a roku express I believe. I bought it from my local Walmart.. I was wondering if that email I mentioned is actually from the roku support team. If it helps I can provide the reference number it had or name of the agent I was emaling. Also the trouble shooting steps I was told to take was to try different outlets and try to power cycle the roku box by pushing the reset button. I tried that several times but the power indicator never lit up. I feel like it. Got short circuses or something 

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Jojo3468,

Thanks for the post,

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We're pleased to assist.

Technical support scams are an unfortunate industry-wide problem where criminals use various forms of deception to extract personal information and gain financial favor from unsuspecting victims. Typical scams aimed at Roku users falsely claim to be affiliated with the company in a malicious effort to get you to pay for services that Roku offers for free, such as Roku device activation and technical support. This article explains how these activation and technical support scams work, how you can protect yourself from them, and what to do if you have fallen victim to such a scam. How to protect yourself from activation and technical support scams

Best regards,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos