Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmville05

Phantom? Button Pressing on TLC Roku Latest Update

Hi there,

I am having the same issue. I followed the troubleshooting steps (removed batteries from remote and used Roku app on my phone as the remote), and I still am experiencing “phantom” button pushes. Mainly the TV Input menu on the left appears and then sometimes cycles through all the options. It’s as if the tv is operating itself, changing inputs and sometimes turning itself off. It’s bizarre. Any other troubleshooting tips? My TCL Roku TV is 6-7 years old. 

11 REPLIES 11
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Random Phantom? Button Pressing on TLC Roku Latest Update

Hi @cmville05,

Welcome to the Roku community!

Thanks for getting in touch about this issue on your remote. We'd love to take a closer look into it.

Could you tell us when you started seeing the issue occur? Have you tried restarting your TCL Roku TV to see if you're still seeing the same issue occur?

Tell us more about this so that we can further look into it.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I had a similar issue with my 75S421 75” TCL with built in Roku - it started a few days ago - happens with spectrum & prime, not Netflix nor home.   Shows will start FF; if you pause and then play, it will pause again a few seconds later.  It was very frustrating. TV had 65 days uptime, software was up to date, last updated on 5/18/23.

This resolved it:

under settings > system > power, system restart

Hopefully, that will work for you too.

Briscob

Re: Phantom? Button Pressing on TLC Roku Latest Update

I am having this same issue. Phantom numbers are appearing on the screen and have been for about 2 weeks. I took the batteries out of the cable remote and Roku remote AND the number 0 and 7 keep showing up on the screen. 0ver 30 zeros in a row and counting. Then it just disappears.  So happy others having this issue too and the TV isn't possessed! Happy to film a video of it if that helps. 

0 Kudos
Audios

I am experiencing the same issues, which cropped up several weeks ago, and began to affect 2 out of 5 of my Roku devices.

Roku Ultra 4K and Streaming stick (few generations ago).

Fixes that haven’t worked:

• both have had controller batteries replaced.
  • system restarts
  • deleted app (not all are affected) and reinstalled

Not all apps are affected. Plex, Paramount+, Peacock are horrible, with one arrow button press often resulting in the selection moving by 4 or 5 steps.

Other apps like Netflix are unaffected on these same devices. The Roku Home Screen is unaffected.

Given that the issue sprouted on two devices in the same week, I’m inclined to suspect a software update as the cause.

What gives Roku?

0 Kudos
Mojo5

The “System restart” worked for me! Thank you this was driving me crazy!!

I have a model 3810X Roku Streaming Stick +

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Audios,

Welcome to the Roku community, and thanks for the post!

Our team is aware of this issue and is currently investigating the root cause of it.

As a workaround, we found out that a system restart may help. Try to navigate from Settings>System>Power (if available)>System Restart.

You can also control your device by using the Roku mobile app on your mobile device. Visit our Support page at the following link for more information: How do I control my Roku streaming device using the Roku mobile app?

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
DrTich

You are not alone --  last night (8/23) we spent 15 min trying to get the cursor to stop on the correct channel in peacock - it finally did ---

0 Kudos
Nanadu

I had the identical issue - the selector would jump through all the selections and stop where it darned well pleased.  I followed the instructions to reset the Roku system > settings > power, system restart.  It worked!

0 Kudos
Flyguy94

I have what sounds like the same problem. Only started a week or so ago, constantly turning itself off and then immediately back on. I’ve tried unplugging it multiple times, even leaving it unplugged all day while I’m at work. I’ve done the system restart as suggested above, factory reset, and pressed the reset button on the back of the tv itself. I’ve left it disconnected from my WiFi, batteries left out of my remote and it still has issues. Currently it’s moved from power cycles to changing inputs constantly. The white light under the screen flashes like there’s someone else sitting next to me just holding the button, rendering my unable to exit out of it to watch something.