Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gergy27
Reel Rookie

Pairing a new remote to Streaming Stick

I have had a Streaming Stick + for about 4 years now. I broke the cord with the adapter in the middle to connect the stick to power. I bought a replacement that looks exactly the same but now my remote will not pair with my roku. I have now bought a new remote that should be compatible with my roku but that is not pairing either. Is the cord my problem? Not sure what to do now.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Pairing a new remote to Streaming Stick

Hi @Gergy27,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with the Roku remote since it will not pair. Help is here. Please check out this support article on how to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working.

Please let us know how it goes.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gergy27
Reel Rookie

I’ve tried this and the pairing light just blinks but never connects. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

The cable is probably your problem.  Without a working Wi-Fi receiver in the cable no remote will ever work.  Roku makes two cables with the receiver; are you certain you got the right one?

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/usb-power-cable-with-long-range-wifi-receiver
https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/usb-power-cable-with-long-range-wifi-receiver-streaming-st...

I think they may use different USB connectors, so wouldn't be compatible anyway, but I'm not sure.,

Assuming you haven't factory reset the stick or changed anything in your Wi-Fi setup, if the Wi-Fi receiver is working the stick should connect to your network.  Try the Roku app on a phone/tablet to see if you can communicate with it.  That would tell you if the Wi-Fi receiver is working.  Of course, if you get the "Not connected" message in the upper right corner of the Home Screen, that would also let you know that it may be faulty.

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy

@renojim wrote:

I think they may use different USB connectors, so wouldn't be compatible anyway, but I'm not sure.

Correct.  I have one of each.

The one for Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810/3811) has a USB-mini connection to the stick.

The one for Roku Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ (3820/3821) has a USB-micro connection to the stick.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Gergy27
Reel Rookie

I purchased the first link that was sent, the one intended for the + roku stick. I cannot use the phone app as I just moved and my roku is no longer on the same wifi as before. Would there be anything else I can do to try and make this work?

0 Kudos
renojim

I think without being able to tell if the remote is bad, the cable with the Wi-Fi module is bad, or even the connector on the stick itself is bad, there's not much you can do - too many unknowns.  If you can configure the hotspot on your phone to match the last network the stick was connected to (same SSID/network name and password) maybe the stick will connect to the hotspot and the "Not connected" message will go away.  That would tell you the cable is ok.  If you factory reset the stick then that's not an option.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.