Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Personman
Channel Surfer

Options shortcut no longer exists?

I know pressing the * button on the roku remote (all of the types of the roku remote) no longer opens the options menu on the left side of the TV, or does it? I actually don't know, and none of these topics on the community are helpful. 

Pressing * on the words (settings, live TV, search, etc) does absolute nothing but make a noise. 

Pressing * on applications (YouTube, Disney Plus, Hulu) brings up the details of the app and what you can do with them.

Pressing * while watching something brings up the settings for captions and audio.

However, no one knows how to open the options menu ever since an update or whatever messed with it.

If you were going to mess up everything, atleast put everything you can do and change, into the settings category. (Put all the options from the Options category into the settings category.) 

This can't be an error because I've seen it happen on multiple Roku TVs, Roku plug in things, and on the Roku standard remote, and that Roku Voice remote thing.

My Roku TV is zoomed in way too much, and it's stuck on some bright mose that's been hurting my eyes. What I'm asking for, is where do I go to access the options menu?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Options shortcut no longer exists?

@Personman 

The * button (Options button) performing as you described in each example is normal behavior.

In some screens, near the top right, you should see Options *.  When unavailable, it will be greyed out.  When available, it will turn white.

---

As for display settings (brightness, color, contrast etc), you will need to enter your TV Picture settings (using your TV remote, not Roku remote) and adjust the settings there if using a Roku device connected to a TV.  The Roku device has no picture settings/controls to adjust.

With the RokuTV, it may differ depending on manufacturer but you can try Settings/TV Picture Settings to adjust brightness.  

With the RokuTV, you can also use the Options * button while watching content (ie. just select something on the Roku Channel and then press the * button).  You should see a menu appear with "Picture Options"  appear (press OK), allowing you to select Brightness, Picture Mode,Picture Size, Dynamic Contrast, Color Temperature, etc.  Again, different manufacturers have different options/settings available here.

If still having issues, post back your RokuTV model number and can see if specific instructions may apply.

https://www.roku.com/blog/roku-tv-5-features-makes-great-smart-tv

https://support.roku.com/article/115007365648

For 4k RokuTV users, even more advanced picture settings/expert settings can be adjusted from the mobile app.

https://support.roku.com/article/217786438

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Personman
Channel Surfer

All I want to know is why they decided on such a terrible change. As of right now, I am using a hisense roku tv.

Pressing * button while watching something only gives me "Closed Captioning, Volume Mode, Accessibility & Captions" none of them change the screen like how it use to do. 

Actually, now my TV looks like it's in night mode, I don't know how, but I guess that's how it's going to be for the rest of its tv life because I don't know how to change it back after the unneeded change that was given to the remote.

I don't care about captions, I don't care about or some accessibility captions, i want to change my screen size, that's it.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Personman 

Have you tried playing something on the Roku Channel and then pressing the * button to see if the picture setting menu appears?  

When pressing the * button in other channels/apps, you may be presented with other options/limited options.

---

I verified the above before the initial response on an Insignia RokuTV and behaved as it always has.  I noticed no changes to its function.

Try playing content in Roku Channel, press the * button, and maybe post a screenshot here of what you are seeing as available options to you.

0 Kudos
Personman
Channel Surfer

20220925_112308.jpg

"Roku Channel, Coraline movie"

This isn't some Mandela effect. I remember being able to use the option shortcut wherever and whenever. Not this stupid limited options option menu. If there are places to access subtitles, the contrast, then there should be a place to access the change picture settings.

God your making me feel like a old man. I remember being able to do this a month or two ago, but I just couldn't stand it anymore. 

AvsGunnar

@Personman 

Just to clarify the issue here.  You have both a 2710 and a RokuTV pictured above.  The 2710 is not plugged into the RokuTV correct?

The picture settings will be unavailable for the 2710 (or any Roku device for that matter).  We need to make sure that the Options menu is actually triggering the options for the Hisense RokuTV (using the Hisense RokuTV remote, or Roku remote paired to the RokuTV).

What is the actual model number of the Roku TV (Settings/System/About)

0 Kudos
Personman
Channel Surfer

"The picture settings will be unavailable for the 2710 (or any Roku device for that matter)."

Please rephrase this, you are making it sound like we did all that typing for no reason and the picture settings are unavailable for Roku devices.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Personman 

Correct.  

If you have a Roku device connected to a TV, then all picture settings are handled through the TV picture settings. (using the TV remote, not the Roku Remote).  A Roku device has no settings that affects the picture quality or features.  Can only change the resolution 720, 1080, 4k etc on a Roku device connected to a TV.

On an actual RokuTV (a tv with integrated RokuOS - no seperate player/stick attached), then the RokuTV does have the Options available to adjust picture quality/features because it is part of the TV itself.

----

Now, if you have a Roku device connected to a RokuTV, you have to determine which one is actually controlling the Roku operation.  Some people connect a Roku device to a RokuTV in order to upgrade the performance.  In these cases, you will have to use the RokuTV remote in order to change the actual TV features (picture settings, etc), and then use the other Roku remote that is paired to the device to actually operate the connected Roku device.  

In a nutshell, only a RokuTV has a picture settings option available.  A Roku device connected to a TV is not a RokuTV.  A Roku device does not have picture settings available to it.  These must be changed from within the TV itself using the TV remote, not the Roku remote.

0 Kudos
Personman
Channel Surfer

Alright, you might want to embrace yourself for this one, if you haven't gotten a headache yet, your gonna get one now:

What if I told you, I can't access the video options, on my Roku TV(hinsense) 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Personman 

Provide the info from the Settings/System/About page from the Hisense RokuTV.  (Dont need IP or MAC address info).

Also, if you have a Roku device connected to your Hisense RokuTV, unplug its HDMI cable from the RokuTV and see if by using the Hisense RokuTV remote you can now access the Picture Settings through the Options button while playing content.

0 Kudos