Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bfmbfm

One Remote Control operates both tv's

Jump to solution

I just purchased a new 75" TCL-Roku and also have another smaller TCL-Roku in the same room and both remotes operate both tv's.  I need to be able to disable this so the main tv remote does not control the smaller tv and vice/versa.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: One Remote Control operates both tv's

Jump to solution

You need to purchase a WiFi direct remote for both TVs. The remote you're using is IR, and there's no way to make it only control one TV if both can see the remote. You could put something to block the IR receiver window on the TV you don't want controlled, but then you would need to move that blockage if/when you needed to control that TV.

The basic Voice Remote will work with both TVs. But if you don't switch both TV remotes you still have the potential of the IR remote controlling both TVs. Of course, you could get by with a single Voice Remote, pair it to the larger TV, then put some black tape over the IR window on that TV so the IR remote for the other TV won't operate it. The Voice Remote will only control the TV it is paired to. But if you put a Voice Remote on both TVs, you don't need to mess with blocking the IR window on either set.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: One Remote Control operates both tv's

Jump to solution

You need to purchase a WiFi direct remote for both TVs. The remote you're using is IR, and there's no way to make it only control one TV if both can see the remote. You could put something to block the IR receiver window on the TV you don't want controlled, but then you would need to move that blockage if/when you needed to control that TV.

The basic Voice Remote will work with both TVs. But if you don't switch both TV remotes you still have the potential of the IR remote controlling both TVs. Of course, you could get by with a single Voice Remote, pair it to the larger TV, then put some black tape over the IR window on that TV so the IR remote for the other TV won't operate it. The Voice Remote will only control the TV it is paired to. But if you put a Voice Remote on both TVs, you don't need to mess with blocking the IR window on either set.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.