Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dethsquad
Reel Rookie

[OS 11.5] Roku Remote Stopped Controlling A/V Receiver Volume

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a Roku 4200X and a RC03 remote, I am using Software version 11.5 build 4235-04 and my Issue ID is 25-441-850

I have a Sony STR DH540 receiver and for many years my roku remote was able to control the volume using the side buttons.

At some point months ago (presumably due to an update) the volume control stopped working.

I've looked at previous solutions and when I go to Settings and try to set up the remote for "TV Control" I get the message that "The current remote does not support TV Control"

This is unacceptable because it previously DID control the volume on the same Sony receiver for YEARS.

I've installed all the updates and restarted the device and restarted my Wi-Fi network and router multiple times and nothing has helped.

The only thing I haven't done was Factory Reset my Roku because I don't think it will work and I don't want to have to restore the 50+ channels and passwords.

Can I get any help here that is not a redirect to an old thread where it tells me to do a software update or to try to setup the remote for TV Control or to Factory Reset my device?

Thank you!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Remote Stopped Controlling A/V Receiver Volume

Jump to solution

The remote programming in the settings is only for Roku remotes with tv IR on board which your very old remote NEVER had. What was controlling the Sony volume is Roku cec commands that were preset to the volume keys on the Roku remote. Initially the volume keys on RC03 were strictly for the Headphone jack built-in to the RC03 remote. But a later upgrade allowed it to control certain tv's and audio brands be hdmi-cec. See the volume commands are picked up by Roku 3, then the Roku 3 send cec signal over the hdmi cable to control whatever device it's connected to, tv or avr. An update gave your device that feature, another took it away. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

Dethsquad
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 11.5] Roku Remote Stopped Controlling A/V Receiver Volume

Jump to solution

Hi, I'm the original poster... not sure what happend but over new years the volume control starting working again. I did nothing but it must've been an auto-update that enabled it to work again, so keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't magically stop working again.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The remote programming in the settings is only for Roku remotes with tv IR on board which your very old remote NEVER had. What was controlling the Sony volume is Roku cec commands that were preset to the volume keys on the Roku remote. Initially the volume keys on RC03 were strictly for the Headphone jack built-in to the RC03 remote. But a later upgrade allowed it to control certain tv's and audio brands be hdmi-cec. See the volume commands are picked up by Roku 3, then the Roku 3 send cec signal over the hdmi cable to control whatever device it's connected to, tv or avr. An update gave your device that feature, another took it away. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
JoefromGA
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. Apparently they needed the bytes of space and killed the cec function. Really annoying now to have to use the receiver remote again after years. 

AvCordCut435
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I too am having this issue and would like the functionality restored ASAP.

palmers603
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same issue here!  My old remote will still control my receiver, but my new voice controlled remote recently lost that functionality.  Grr. 

b2422

Jump to solution

I have a couple of "Ultra" 4800X that pass the signals to change the volume on my Yamaha receiver and sound bar. I purchased the new "Ultra" and indeed the capability is no longer there. I returned the new Ultra and went back to the better old Ultra. Roku marketing shouldn't be calling this new product an "ultra" as it deletes the function(be it CEC or XYZ.) Or may I suggest "Ultra Minus" AV system control. Very disappointed Roku product management really dropped the ball here.  

jeadams

Jump to solution

I had the exact same problem that the Roku remote that use to control the Denon receiver stoped working after the 11.5 update.  Tonight I was able to fix it!  I went back into the remote settings and selected my tv brand again (even though the receiver controls the volume) and presto, the Roku remote now works again to control the receiver volume and mute.  So glad to have it back. 

0 Kudos
JoefromGA
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It didn't work because I'm using an LG Projector. I guess the Roku devs needed a few bytes of space to add some useless feature that nobody uses. Cec was meant for this purpose. Roku fail. 

AvCordCut435
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Sent you a PM

JoefromGA
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It worked! Thank you for the help! 

0 Kudos