Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

New Roku Remote Backlit - V2 Pro

Good to see Roku responding to user requests by adding a backlit remote to the Accessories lineup. (available now).

Voice Remote Pro (2nd Edition/V2 - RCB1R) - https://www.roku.com/products/accessories

https://www.roku.com/blog/pro-series-tv-available

https://cordcuttersnews.com/roku-announces-a-new-roku-pro-remote-2-with-backlit-buttons-usb-c-new-bu...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Labels (1)
23 REPLIES 23
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: New Roku Remote Backlit - V2 Pro

We're excited! The backlight option looks great, USB-C charging, and longer battery life. The remote no longer offers private listening directly on the remote, but you'll still be able to use private listening via the free Roku Mobile App, including with wireless headphones. 

These features were highly requested by customers! It's one more way we're allowing customers options to personalize their streaming time. Read more about the Voice Remote Pro V2 at the official Blog announcement here.

Let us know what you think!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
Emissary35
Roku Guru

I checked the Roku accessories page and it no longer says "Headphone Mode" for this new and improved voice remote, so I guess that means the private listening feature has been removed? Yeah some 'upgrade' all right! You took away a useful feature and added a 'Guide' button. Not an improvement.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Emissary35 

Well, I am thinking that some of the newer devices in development are more likely to have Bluetooth built in (like some of the currently available models) which will allow earbuds/headphones to simply connect to the device rather than the remote.

Although I rarely use Private Listening, when I do, I just use the Roku mobile app. (my cellphone is a much better device for this than my older non-rechargeable remotes with the headphone jack).  One of my cell phones that I use with Roku still has the 3.5mm jack so can connect both wired and wireless earbuds/headphones to it.

I repurpose a lot of older equipment to supplement my streaming.  I can't expect Roku to satisfy my every personal need, so I take advantage of what they do offer, and then figure out a way to customize my setup that works for me.

---

As for the Guide button, I can see that as quite useful for those that use the Roku Channel LiveTV.  (am assuming reserved solely for Roku Channel, but not sure).  Additionally, only so much real estate on the current Roku remote design so something had to go.  (1 of 2 programmable shortcut buttons).

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

All of the shortcuts at the bottom of the remote should be programmable and not locked to launch just one app each that Roku sold them off too so they could get paid. I haven't seen any mention of any bluetooth and even if they were able to pair removing the headphone jack from the remote is still not an improvement. I wouldn't want this remote over the previous version.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Emissary35 

Newer Roku devices have this direct Bluetooth availability. https://support.roku.com/article/360011612733

Older devices still require use of the mobile app as a Bluetooth medium.

-----

I still like older 3.5 mm jacks (which is why I hold onto my older phones).  Unfortunately, everything is more and more wireless in nature.  Each piece of hardware that be eliminated and replaced by a chip feature is a cost savings.

-----

As for the V2 remote itself, personally I like the idea of the Guide button since I watch a lot of the Roku LiveTV, and I just appreciate the fact that Roku listened to its users that have been requesting the backlight for years in the forum.

As for the pre-programmed channel partner buttons, I really don't give them a second thought.  I don't use them as I really don't use subscription channels.  If they had Pluto, Filmrise, and Roku Channel buttons, I probably would use them though.   

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

That's a good point about the programmed buttons. They are usually premium channels you may never subscribe to so it makes them useless. But even the ones I am subscribed to I still never use those buttons, I pretty much ignore them. I consider them useless unless you can customize them.

FranklinJ
Binge Watcher

I’ve not seen the RCB1R, and it sounds interesting. 

Next, all they need built in the remote is a flashlight so I can read my TV Guide in the dark.  

0 Kudos
adam1991
Binge Watcher

I refuse to nitpick at this and second-guess Roku on features.  It solved my main concern by switching to USB-C connector for charging.  Sanity has reigned in the world.

I'm waiting for the new Ultra to come out with this remote and whatever other enhancements they've planned for.

0 Kudos
OconRecon
Reel Rookie

Any cases available?  Gen2 is a little slimmer than Gen1.  Or, is the Gen2 a similar size to one of the older remotes?

Just received two of these in the mail yesterday, and LOVE them.  A third is on the way.

I do like a tack-ified remote control cover though. 🙂

If anyone has found one, link please!

0 Kudos