Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ets_Arlington
Reel Rookie

New RCA1R does not work as RF remote

The IR functions of my RCA1R are working fine, but it does not work as an RF remote.  My device is receiving RF fine and I can control it with using the mobile phone App with no problems.  

I've used the secret menu to perform multiple restarts of the remote and re-paired several times. I just purchased this RCA1R direct from Roku in September. What are my options for resolving this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: New RCA1R does not work as RF remote

Hi @Ets_Arlington,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We'd love to investigate this concern further. May we know what kind of Roku device you are using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify)

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                                  John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ets_Arlington
Reel Rookie

I purchased this remote in September of 2023 (direct from Roku store on Amazon) to pair with my 4630X but I also have a Roku streaming stick on another television that I used to diagnose the remote's issue.  The remote will not currently pair with the streaming stick nor will it "re-pair" with the 4630X.  But since it is already paired with the 4630X, it functions in IR mode with that device.  

The 4630X prompts me to "re-pair" the remote for a more stable connection and battery life...but since the remote isn't transmitting on RF....it's impossible to do so.  I can put the remote into pair mode and the green light shows as expected...but neither the 4630x nor the streaming stick can detect the remote at that point.

I've replaced the batters multiple times, used the secret menu to restart the remote, and am out of ideas.  Is it possible to initiate a RMA for this remote?  Frustrating for it to be useless only months after purchase.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Ets_Arlington,

Thank you for the additional information!

We will be more than happy to assist you further. Could you send us a photo of the Roku remote that you are trying to pair with the Roku devices?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                                  John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ets_Arlington
Reel Rookie

Certainly - here's a pic.  In case it wasn't clear, this remote did work as expected with my device initially. It only stopped performing last week.

PXL_20240312_204001430.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We appreciate the additional details that you have provided to us, @Ets_Arlington!

Please try these troubleshooting steps below.

Put your streaming device in pairing mode:

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device.
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds.
  3. Re-connect the power cable.
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on and the Home screen to appear on your TV screen.
  5. Within 30 seconds of seeing the Home screen on your TV screen, put your voice remote into pairing mode.

Put your voice remote in pairing mode:

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your voice remote.
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, and then reinsert the batteries.
  4. If your remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.
  5. If your remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold both the Home button and Back button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.
  6. If the status light does not flash, try replacing the batteries.
  7. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your streaming device.

Once your streaming device and remote are connected, the pairing dialog will appear on your TV screen.

Let us know how it works, and we will continue to assist you further.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                              John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ets_Arlington
Reel Rookie

I've tried this with both devices with the same result.  The device enters pairing mode but never detects the remote.

For the remote's part, holding the Home/Back combo does allow it to enter pairing mode as indicated by the flashing status light. However even waiting far more than 30 seconds, neither device detects the remote.

As I've said...the remote does not appear to be transmitting over RF at all.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for keeping us posted, @Ets_Arlington!

We have sent you a private message here in the Roku Community. Kindly check your inbox.

We'll wait for your response.

Regards,                                                                                                                                                    John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.