Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maddyash6
Reel Rookie

New Express 4k won’t go past language screen

Just bought a new roku express 4k with the simple remote. Got everything plugged in following the manual. Got to the language screen and then started putting in my Wi-Fi info. After typing one letter in everything stopped working. Now my roku is stuck on the language screen and doesn’t respond to the remote. Please help 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New Express 4k won’t go past language screen

@Maddyash6 

Unplug the Roku device from power, plug back in,  and allow it to reboot.  Also, try using wall power if you are currently using the TV USB port for power. (if the device did not come with a wall adapter, try using a cell phone charging adapter 5volt 1amp).  Sometimes I have to mess with the batteries and give a remote a few thumps in my hand when it stops working.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Maddyash6
Reel Rookie

Tried everything. Different usb ports. Plugging into the wall, rebooting the system, giving the remote a good whack. Still nothing. Not a single bit of hope for it 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Maddyash6 

Last thing to do is try a Factory Reset of the device.

Press and hold in the Reset button on the Roku device for 30+ seconds.

If still a no-go, you may have a defective device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
SHG

I've had the same problem with 2 of them. Technical support said to get a 3rd one. I think they are just junk,

0 Kudos
engr1962

I had the same problem, had it replaced, same problem.  so I figured it was a generic problem.  If I put the remote _right_ up to the roku, it works.  So I opened the remote.  There is a design/build issue in the remote in that the IR LED's are being damaged.  There is a 0 OHM resistor that should be a 25 OHM to protect the LED.  I replaced the LED and the resistor, it works fine now. 

I have seen some people postings about working for a while, then suddenly losing distance, I'm sure it is the same problem.

ROKU needs to recall all of those simple remotes and fix the problem. 

0 Kudos
DebbyU
Reel Rookie

Make sure you are using the Roku remote to move past this screen not your tv remote .

0 Kudos