Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jafro
Channel Surfer

Locked into voice remote setup and can not get out.

My parents bought a Roku VOICE remote for the very large, expensive, TV I bought them because they thought they lost the original.  They found the original but tried to set up a new Roku voice remote with it.  A) they don't want a voice remote.  B) they do not agree to the license agreement.  C) I've already tried to help them with voice activated products and octogenarians can not operate them.

They're stuck at the setup.  They don't agree to the terms.  There is NO WAY TO BACK OUT OF IT.  How do you quit and permanently cancel that setup.  They will not agree to an internet connected microphone in their house.  I totally don't blame them.  I wouldn't either.  A pushy Best Buy salesperson forced this remote on them and they never needed it to begin with.

ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS DISAGREE AND EXIT THE SETUP.  They don't need another remote.

8 REPLIES 8
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Locked into voice remote setup and can not get out.

Hi @Jafro,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Please be advised that Roku offers a 30-day, money-back guarantee. That means, if for any reason, you wish to return a product (or products) purchased directly from the Roku website or from a third-party company vendor within thirty (30) days from the date of purchase, we will refund the purchase price of your Roku product (or products) and accessories.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
I-Hate-You
Reel Rookie

You are a terrible company 

0 Kudos
I-Hate-You
Reel Rookie

You are a terrible company for forcing this on customers 

0 Kudos
I-Hate-You
Reel Rookie

I have had my products for over 30 days and now you’re pushing this on me you are a horrible company and you should be ashamed of yourselves

0 Kudos
I-Hate-You
Reel Rookie

I have had all my products for more than 30 days and I am not able to return them and I am also not able to use the products because you are forcing this voice recognition on me as a customer. This is disgusting, you should be ashamed of yourselves, and you are a terrible company.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @I-Hate-You,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We're sorry for the inconvenience about this. Please help us learn more about what exactly the issue you're running into.

Are you seeing any error messages? Have you tried any troubleshooting and what didn't apply?

Let us know more and we'll dig in.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jafro
Channel Surfer

I'll get you to the bottom of this.  If you start the voice activation setup, it can not be cancelled.  You can mail the voice remote to Antarctica so that it definitely is nowhere near the TV, and the voice remote setup software can not be quit nor cancelled with any controls of any kind on the television or remote.  You can not turn it off and back on again, you can not unplug it for any length of time to make it go away, the TV forever starts up where you left off.  You can not exit the voice remote setup assistant.  If you look above at my first post, which was not answered appropriately (the answer had nothing to do with my question)... that is obviously what I hate you was having issues with.  I did, too.  My parents had to pay a technician an hourly fee plus travel time for a technician to come fix it for them.

Now I'm doubly-upset because the tech somehow signed them back in as me after I deleted them, and now they're buying hundreds of dollars worth of channels on my account every month.

I'm just trying to help you clarify what someone else is now struggling with.  A problem that actually made my Roku experience far worse because I can't stop their TV from buying channels on my account now.

0 Kudos
Jafro
Channel Surfer

Bud, locate the physical reset button on the back of the TV near the Antenna.  Press it.  It nukes the settings back to F.O.B.  Get that voice remote that you can't take the batteries out of FAR from the TV, and then use a different non-voice Roku remote (you can get for around $10 on Amazon).  

If you do that it won't put you back in the voice activation setup.  Any Roku remote will control your TV, but that setup is triggered simply by the presence of a voice remote.  I can't understand why anyone would want microphones connected to the internet inside their home?  Especially for a device that's signed into a media marketing service?!?!?!  

0 Kudos