Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blfuller
Channel Surfer

LiPo battery replacement on the Roku Voice Remote Pro

As we all know, rechargeable batteries have a finite life and LiPo batteries are no exception.  Is the Roku Voice Remote Pro battery replaceable once it is no longer rechargeable or is this remote a throw away and buy another?  Seems it would be wasteful if it was not able to be replaced.

PS.  Tried to use the word "L.i.t.h.i.u.m" in my subject line to describe the battery and got an error that said that word is not permitted in this community.  Very odd.  Added periods between letters so it would post.

19 REPLIES 19
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: LiPo battery replacement on the Roku Voice Remote Pro

Having taken one apart I can say it's not meant to be replaced, but I've replaced plenty of batteries that weren't meant to be replaced in numerous devices over the years. 🙂

interesting.  I wonder if it's because it's a drug?  Hmm... does it accept drug?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
blfuller
Channel Surfer

I have replaced many that were not intended to be replaced as well.  Just was wondering if it was soldered to the board and was labeled with the voltage and amps.  Did the case come apart with screws or did you have to pry it apart?

I'm sure it was because the "L" word is also a drug.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Well, it does plug into the circuit board, so I guess you could say it's replaceable.  Getting a replacement is probably impossible.

The remote just snaps together, but I'll save you the trouble.

VRP.jpg

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
OhGeeWillikers
Reel Rookie

Here is the LiPo battery for the Roku voice pro remote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394471333328?hash=item5bd852ddd0:g:r2kAAOSw9RZj8g-G&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8P... 

• ATL 3.8wh

• 3.8V

• +822048

• BG6222

• -0827E7

OhGeeWillikers
Reel Rookie

3.8 Watt Hour - 3.8V - 1.0 AH - 822048

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 3.08.52 PM.png

KJSS
Roku Guru

Re: 3.8 Watt Hour - 3.8V - 1.0 AH - 822048

I have a spare battery.  I dropped the remote and broke it.  So I threw it out.  But before I did I opened the remote and unplugged the battery.  So now I have spare battery for my new remote.

Thanks. The black wire disconnected on my battery. Remote only worked when plugged in. 

0 Kudos
Discon
Channel Surfer

I think I have the solution. Or at least it worked for me and I'd love to know if it works for others. After the only suggested solution I've seen (plugging and unplugging the charger 10-15 times rapidly) didn't work for me, I decided to try changing the battery. The case opened pretty easily, using my trusty iSesamo, though I'd think any thin-bladed knife or spudger would do the job. I'm pretty sure the battery is glued in, rather than soldered or plugged into the circuit board (the pics on the ebay replacement show both sides of the battery - no pins!) so I started looking for glue removal methods - but then had another thought:

Why not try everyone's favorite solution - disconnecting for a minute or so, then reconnecting. As you can see from the pic sent in @renojim's post, the battery is plugged into the circuit board by a 3-wire 2mm white plug. I carefully pulled out that plug by rocking it gently from side to side and gave it a minute before plugging it back in. I then charged up the remote and after a few hours the green light became steady - no more pulsing. It worked! My remo'te now shows 100% charge and no more "Remote 0%" messages on the screen. 

I hope it's not a fluke and that this works for others. Please post if it does. Good luck!

Paul

Discon
Channel Surfer

BTW, this is a link to the battery I was going to get if the unplug-plug back in solution didn't work. It would have wound up costing half what a new remote would be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394782158371?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=GBuFr94ETQW&sss...