Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AIAIO

LG magic remote to control which Roku device?

Is there any current or older but still supported Roku device that is compatible with the LG magic remote?  We would like the magic remote to control the Roku. This would mean that the Roku should respond to infrared commands issued from the magic remote. From what information I have gathered so far, most Roku devices are controlled via WiFi commands, but maybe some also respond to infrared. Is there any hope?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: LG magic remote to control which Roku device?

All Roku devices except for the sticks (which plug directly into an HDMI input without the need for a cable) respond to IR remotes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
michael8491
Reel Rookie

I have a Roku streaming stick+, it did work on my LG tV and with the magic remote until recently, but not now. It is plugged into my HDMI3. The Roku remote operates it. So how do I get my MR21GA to get back to work? Found out too late the LG TV choice of apps and the smart remote are bad technology.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

You might want to read this thread.  There seems to be differing results when trying to get the "magic remote" to control a stick.  I'm frankly amazed that anyone has been able to get it to work at all.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
michael8491
Reel Rookie

Well discovered out how to get my LG magic remote from my OLED to control my Roku streaming Stick +. After wasting way too much time on this, I once again called LG to get an answer, I got the right person this time. With my stick in the HDMI slot and plugged into a receptacle I was directed to do a factory reset of the TV. Similar to on a laptop, I really cringe when that is the suggestion. However this time it was the solution. Yep, you do have to put some passwords back in and spend a little time---however it now works great!!! Been working well for about a week now. 

0 Kudos