Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LilJake
Reel Rookie

LG TV and Roku remote both required to access Roku apps menu

Have 3 LG TVs and 1 Insignia TV utilizing Roku Express 4K+.  1 LG and Roku are brand new.  After pairing, the Roku remote starts the TV and the blue light on the Roku receiver is illuminated but the LG menu appears.  Have to press the Roku power button to power off the TV twice, press the power button again to turn on TV and bring up the Roku menu.

On another LG that was working fine for the past year until 10/27 the power button brings up a Roku screen (along with an HDMI1 popup box that I don't think came up previously) but then goes blank.  Have to use a combination of the Roku and LG remotes to bring up the Roku menu.  Have repaired the Roku remote numerous times

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: LG TV and Roku remote both required to access Roku apps menu

Try pressing Home on your Roku remote to wake the Roku device.  The power button on Roku remotes is strictly for the TV and doesn't affect the Roku.  If there's a "power saving" option on your Roku under Settings->System->Power you may want to disable it to see if it's affecting things.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
LilJake
Reel Rookie

Thank you for the input.  We have several TVs with Rokus and on 2 TVs the Roku box started (blue light came on) along with the TV upon pressing the power button the other 2 TVs were "missing a signal" until we pressed the home button for the Roku menu and at that time the blue light came on.

We have always wondered why there was a disparity between the 2 operations

0 Kudos
renojim

I think it's something that happens via the HDMI connection and has nothing to do with pressing the power button on the remote (i.e., it's the TV powering on that wakes the Roku).  You could test my theory by blocking the TV and/or holding the remote very close to the Roku box and pressing only the power button to see if light on the Roku comes on. Or, use the TV remote to turn on the TV to see if that wakes the Roku or use the power button on the TV itself.  I'd be interested in what you find.

0 Kudos
LilJake
Reel Rookie

For the past year, until 2 weeks ago, we only needed the Roku remotes to operate all TVs and I'm actually not sure where a couple of the TV remotes are.

Now - After pressing the Roku power button from a distance:

On 1 LG TV the LG menu appears, we press the Home button which activates (blue light illuminates) the Roku receiver and Roku menu appears.  No TV remote needed

On 1 Insignia TV a message appears basically saying no input, we press the Home button and the Roku receiver activates and Roku menu appear. No TV remote needed

On 1 LG TV, up until 2 weeks ago, we press the Roku Power button once and the TV and Roku receiver activated and the Roku menu appeared.  Now, we press the Roku power button and the TV starts, Roku box illuminates, Roku screen appears (not menu) then screen goes dark.  Several approaches to starting the TV have worked 1) unplug/replug HDMI at this point,  2) Press the power button on Roku and or TV remotes numerous times to turn everything off and back on.

On 1 LG (new TV and Roku last week) TV and Roku box illuminates and the LG menu appears.  Pressing the Home button does nothing at this point.  We press the power button on Roku and or TV remote a few times to shut everything down and the power button again and the TV and Roku menu appear.

renojim

I think on the ones where it doesn't work it's an HDMI handshaking issue.  Whether a recent update had anything to do with it is hard to say.  I know I have a particular Roku device that when connected to a particular TV (that just happens to be a TCL Roku TV) I get what you see - I turn on the TV, press Home on the Roku remote, and the TV says something like "searching for input".  Turning the TV off and back on gets the Roku to come up.  A different model of Roku works just fine with the same TV.  Honestly, it never bothered me enough to look into it and it's one of those things that's likely to be broken with one Roku update and then fixed with another before being broken once again.

0 Kudos