Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
travolta24

LG C2 magic remote with Roku Ultra 4670X

I recently got the C2 and I can not use the magic remote to control the Ultra 4670X. I have tried it as OTT and Set Top Box and the model doesn't even show up when searching. It does have 4660X but not this one. 

Has anyone been able to get their C2 magic remote to control this Roku version? 

I have read all I can find in the forums but I haven't seen this address or with a solution. 

I also have a C1 with the same Ultra and I've never had issues. Is the LG model to blame? Do I need a newer Ultra? 

Any help is appreciated. 

Roku Ultra (4670 series)  

7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: LG C2 magic remote with Roku Ultra 4670X

Roku does not offer the ability of other remotes to control their players via the HDMI-CEC link. If the LG remote has the ability to learn IR commands, it might be able to control the Roku via IR. My LG doesn't have a magic remote, but I wouldn't use it anyway even if it did. The Roku remote is simpler to use, and since it will control the volume of my AVR I never use the TV remote anyway.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Anameleth

I'm having the same problem with c2 and Roku ultra 4660rw. Following for solution

0 Kudos
Fbuckwalter
Reel Rookie

I have several ROKU devices and just bought an LG OLED with Magic remote.  I was thinking of trying to get the MAGIC remote to control the ROKU.  Now I am thinking, why?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Fbuckwalter wrote:

Now I am thinking, why?

Why what? As mentioned, the magic remote won't control the Roku. The only possibility of controlling a Roku with a non-Roku remote is if the Roku is NOT any model of Stick (the ones that connect directly to a TV without a cable) is using a universal IR remote that can be used for multiple devices. Roku devices other than the Stick will work with IR remotes that know the correct codes for Roku, which many universal remotes do. But you lose the simplicity of the Roku remote when using the Roku. And remember that Roku remotes with volume buttons will usually control the volume on the TV without doing anything special. HDMI-CEC handles that quite well on most TVs. 

Dan

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@travolta24While I have the Ultra 4800R, I can't imagine the remote with your device being different where communicating is concerned, though I'm not a Roku employee. I have an LG OLED and use a Harmony 650 to control it along with my other equipment though it does NOT control the Roku remote since it uses WiFi direct. I'm sort of surprised your previous LG worked with it though. I don't find its a problem having 2 remotes though I rarely if ever use the LG remote since I don't like its design or functioning. Regardless, I hope you find a good solution

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
Fbuckwalter
Reel Rookie

I should have been clearer.  I was wondering why I would try to get the LG Magic remote to control the the Roku.  I am going to buy a Roku Stick to get the RF remote to avoid having to have line of site.  Sorry for th the misunderstanding and thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yep, if that was your purpose for the magic remote, it won't work. 

You don't have to get the Stick for a WiFi remote. The Express 4k+ and Ultra both come with it as well. Only the basic Express (which I don't recommend to anyone) comes with an IR remote. 

Dan

0 Kudos