Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donduck

Intermittent remote freeze w/ Streaming Stick 4k

I got a new version Streaming Stick 4k ‎3820R, successfully paired the voice remote with the streaming stick. I experienced issues where Roku would sometimes show Roku home screen on power on of TV, but then be stuck- the power and volume keys would work (directly controlling the TV) but I could not voice control or navigate anything on the Roku itself.

Read about HDMI interference, got the little extension HDMI cable from Roku, but it still freezes up (not every time). I have it on the side HDMI input (all by itself) on the TV (Sony XBR900F). System software up to date. 

Odd thing, is sometimes in one of these remote frozen sessions, if I get off the couch and walk all the way up to the TV, hold the remote behind the screen really close to the Roku if I just keep on clicking home and direction buttons eventually it responds, and then when I sit back down, it keeps on working.  In the frozen remote sessions controlling from the iOS app always seems to work, so it's not like the Roku itself is locked up, seems like only connection to the remote.  Do I need a replacement stick, remote, or both?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Intermittent remote freeze w/ Streaming Stick 4k

It's hard to say where exactly the problem lies, but there are a few things you can try.  The extender was a good start and if I'm reading you correctly it sounds like the situation improved after you got one.  I've found that the remotes can be finicky when it comes to batteries, so trying good, fresh batteries would be worth a shot.  The sticks also support 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-Fi.  The remote works on whatever channel the stick is using for its Wi-Fi connection, so there's lots that you can play with there.  First, if your router's Wi-Fi channel is set to "Auto", set it to a fixed channel.  That alone may help.  If you have both 2.4 and 5GHz available, try both of them.  Try different channels on each.  Bear in mind that only channels 1 through 11 are supported on 2.4GHz (standard for US) and non-DFS channels are supported on 5GHz (48 and below or 149 and above).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@donduck

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JduaneJ

Hello, this issue sounds a lot like the issue I am having with my Roku streaming stick 4k+ and the voice remote. The only difference I can see is that I have two remotes paired to the device. The Roku stick works flawlessly for a few hours, but seems to freeze after the device remains idle or the screen saver is activated. The remotes buttons cause no action on the Roku screen except for the IR power on/off and volume rockers for the TV. The only way I can get any feedback is to reboot the Roku. Wifi connection also stops intermittently when all my other devices work just fine while the problem persists with the Roku.

I'm trying to work the Roku with only one remote right now and will report back if issues continue. I've tried over an hour with online chat support and all of their suggestions only help with the issue temporarily. After a few hours and when the device is idle, the remotes stop functioning. Even the voice button and hands free voice commands do not work.

I purchased my Roku Streaming Stick 4k+ exactly 1 month ago. So I am outside the return window for Amazon.

DEVICE INFO

• Model 3821R2
  • Serial Number X025004J38TJ
  • Software ver 12.0.0 build 4178-E6
  • Device ID S0JD331J38TJ

Thank you for any help! 

Tags (2)
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @JduaneJ

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos