Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blackjack101
Channel Surfer

Re: If the latest update (v 10.0.0 build 4177-46) breaks controlling TV volume-mute with Roku remote

Jump to solution

Third response to this thread. When it first happened all three televisions quit having sound control I have two JVC and one Samsung. Power still worked for the JVC's but not the Samsung. Easily reset the JVC's to control volume including the mute buttons. I have a total of five remotes. Tried all five on the Samsung and none would work. Two of the remotes are the newer EL series versions, one being brand new. Neither of the EL version remotes (these use AA Batteries instead of AAA like the older model AL series) would work on any of my televisions. The AL series had 50 codes for both JVC and Samsung while the EL series only had 10 codes for each. Both JVC televisions (same model, different screen size) used code 15. Brand new Ultra that wouldn't work with the brand new remote (EL Series). After the newer update that was to resolve the remote problems, the new EL worked with the JVC televisions, still using code 15 but now the EL series had 50 codes instead of stopping at 10. Kept trying both EL and AL Series on the Samsung and neither would work. However, just like with the JVC the new EL series would now go up to  codes, but none of them worked. The power button would not work either. Sent the requested info (Roku model, television model and ID code) last night to Roku support. Today I checked to see if the remote would work on the Samsung. It still wouldn't mute during setup. However, a message on the screen would say "optical out". I use an external headphone that is wired to the television via the optical cable. Thinking this might be a problem, changed the settings on the television (not the Roku, but the Samsung) to internal speakers instead of optical out. Then went through the set up process and found at least three codes that worked to mute the sound. The first time, code 3 would mute the sound but not turn the tv on or off. Tried again and code 7 would also work the sound but not the power. On the third try, got up to 13 and the remote would work the sound and the power. Problem solved for now as long as I only want to use the internal speakers for sound. Will have to switch to optical output on the television settings anytime I want to use only the headphones which is a pain but I don't think it is related to the Roku problem. I can not attest to the fact that the sound controls existed when I had the television set to optical out before the original update that lost both power and sound control. When it was controlling the sound and power before that upgrade, I may have had the sound set to internal speakers. I honestly can't remember if the sound control worked for the headphones when the television was set to optical out instead of internal speakers. I set the headphone sound level via the headphone and transmitting base for the headphones and don't know if I ever tried to adjust the sound after I got the headphones volume and equalizer settings to a level I enjoyed. 

0 Kudos
Slamfire851c
Reel Rookie

Re: If the latest update (v 10.0.0 build 4177-46) breaks controlling TV volume-mute with Roku remote

Jump to solution

My volume controls are now functioning normally on my Roku remote. I'm not sure if it was the new update/patch or me doing a couple of more new code searches that got it working again.

4660X Roku Ultra

Sony Bravia

sn# YJ003H803153

Software version 10.0.0 build 4195-46

0 Kudos
Baxa
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Still no FIX!!!...How much longer do we have to wait for a functioning Roku remote?...

Kathpo

Jump to solution

This solution is not a solution- nothing works- resetting, re-pairing to TV , going through the 45+ codes- nothing- this is ridiculous!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that we are still investigating the root cause for why this happened.

In the meantime, please set your Roku Remote again for TV controls. Navigate to Settings > Remotes & Devices > Remotes > [select your remote] > Set up remote for TV control. For more information about this setup process, visit our FAQ here: https://support.roku.com/article/115013019828.

If you're still running into an issue, and this function worked before the latest update, please respond to the following thread with this information: Did your Roku remote lose volume and TV control after the latest update? Check here!

• Your Roku device model
  • TV make/model and AVR make/model (if applicable)
  • Issue ID (Attempt the instructions above to Set up your remote for TV Control. If your remote is still not controlling your TV power and volume, then please obtain an Issue ID. To generate an Issue ID, on your remote, press Home 5x then Back 5x (next to Home) in quick succession, and you'll see an Issue ID pop up on your screen. Let us know what that Issue ID is here).
  • If you are using the newest Roku remote, Voice Remote Pro, please let us know as well.

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to look further into.

We will be closing this thread out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator