Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCee
Roku Guru

If the TV becomes unresponsive to the Remote, How do we operate the TV?

Jump to solution

The other day, my voice remote suddenly didn't work. At that point I realized I have no idea how to operate the TV an LTC 55" Roku TV. I don't see any channel, on/off, or volume controls on the TV itsel. I'm not connected to cable, just use WiFi.  Thankfully, the remote began working again, once I replaced the batteries, althouth the onscreen battery indicator showed the previous batteries had over 50% power, maybe 70/80%...

What would I do if the remote just stopped working, how to use the TV without it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: If the TV becomes unresponsive to the Remote, How do we operate the TV?

Jump to solution

@StevenCee-

As long as your Roku TV remains connected to your WiFi network, you can use the Roku app (not The Roku Channel app) on a phone or tablet connected to the same network as a backup remote control.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@StevenCee 

This video might be useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrTkrICv4Y

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@StevenCee-

As long as your Roku TV remains connected to your WiFi network, you can use the Roku app (not The Roku Channel app) on a phone or tablet connected to the same network as a backup remote control.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I realized that while nothing else works, it still retains the ability to turn it off. So I turn it off, and then on again, and then it will usually work. I sure hope OS11 fixes some of these annoying bugs...

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@StevenCee  I have three TCL Roku tvs and have no problems with the remotes not working.  It may be that the remote is failing.  Roku TV remotes are fairly inexpensive and available at Walmart, Target, etc...

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure that if the remote was failing, this would occur a lot more frequently, but since this has been a sporadic experience for at least the last six months, not getting progressively worse, a quick restart corrects the problem, I'm prone to think it's not the device, but just some momentary glitch. And my question was about what to do in case the remote should just completely not work, or not be found, etc., as I don't see any manual controls on the TV...

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@StevenCee  Your TV does have a manual control. I own 3 TCL Roku TVs. There is a button right behind the TCL remote signal in the bottom middle of the TV. There is a plastic piece on the bottom of your tv. That’s says “TCL”. Under that is a little button. Press it. But as you have been told previously a back up is the Roku Remote Control app for your phone. I use it at times. I also bought a Roku Voice Remote Pro. I don’t use the original TCL remote. You have a lot of questions which can actually be answered by your TV manufacturer. Keep in mind that Roku does not make TVs. 

You can always just pull the plug and let it reboot

I have 3 ways of controlling my TVs. The original IR remote from TCL, my Roku Voice Remote Pro and my iPhone 

StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info about the button, but while that may turn it off & on, that won't help changing channels, volume, etc. But I do have the app on my phone & computers, so if the remote should die or go missing, I can use the app instead. And my remote does have the voice option, so I will try to start using it, especially if will take me the channels I often can't reach via scrolling, in time enough, before it snaps back to the previous channel. I'm still a bit stunned that in 2020, we have remote controls with no number pad, so easily input the stations we want. It sure seems like a huge step backwards, and feels like I'm using dial-up internet!  

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@StevenCee  You bought a streaming tv. There is no need for numbers. If you bought a regular tv then bought a Roku device you would be all set. But you bought a Roku TV and are expecting it to work like any other TV. But that’s not how they work. I bought a TCL Roku TV for a reason and I knew how it worked cause I owned Roku devices at the time. You knew what you were buying from the start. If not when you got home and realized the remote doesn’t have numbers you should have returned it. But now your blaming Roku for not having channel numbers on their remote. Well even a Roku Ultra doesn’t have channel numbers. I don’t need channel numbers and haven’t for 10 years. 

It’s best to do your research before making a purchase. Most people buy a Roku TV cause they are cheap. They see a 55” TV for $350 and they take it home. Not knowing anything about it. If the TV you bought wasn’t for you then you should have returned it. It’s not a step backwards on Roku’s part. It’s a learning experience for you

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Do you read what you write? Telling me it has no numbers, yet when I open the program guide, There's rows of channels, with NUMBERS, all the way to 1200, or more! So, it would only be logical, to be able to go directly to any of the channel numbers we wish, without having to sit and slowly watch as it goes up or down the guide. It wouldn't even be so bad, if by holding the button down more firmly, it sped up the scrolling, as many other model TVs do. 

As for your lecture on doing research before buying a TV, thank you Dad, but I do that before I buy most anything. However, as I've explained  before, I didn't personally buy this, so have had to learn how this works, period. And a remote without numbers, when you have numbers that go as high as 1200, is ridiculously clumsy & out of step with the times... And again, this a "support community", not a forum for lecturing others on what they should have or shouldn't have done, especially when you have no clue whatsoever, as to how or why I acquired this TV!!