Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sawin

I fell for the remote ap scam.

I've been using my TCL Roku TV for years with the remote and the app on my phone.

I just had a moment of being totally fed up about them pushing substitutions and the app having ads.

I did a quick search to see if I could download load a APK or offline full version....

Then I found out whatever ap I've been using is NOT official and NOT from Roku or TCL. I went into ap info and it all read as "unknown"

I'm a pretty tech savvy guy I laugh at people who fall for these dumb scams- the ol' "you have a virus pop up click here to fix your computer. " Im 29 I feel so dumb. I've been using basically spyware on my phone for years.. fake apps asking for payment information is crazy ! Be careful out there.. watching TV. Lol

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I fell for the remote ap scam.

@sawin 

At least you realized it.  You can also take some comfort in knowing not all these 3rd party unofficial apps are a scam.  Some are developed as projects in an effort to provide a feature the developer sees as lacking in the official version.

However, I haven't really come across one recently that performs any better than the official Roku mobile app.  (and the official mobile app doesn't have pop-up ads , so there is that also.)

-----

The official Roku app info can be found in the Roku Support pages. (Knowledge base)

https://support.roku.com/article/217288467 (How to install the Roku mobile app)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos