Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sylg35
Reel Rookie

I am not able to access the apps

Jump to solution

I apologize if this is not in the correct help area.

My Roku3 remote works with most functions.l I can access the available app buttons. When I hit home and try to select an app, it does not move. I have new batteries and close to unit when trying.

sn: 4E7576061661

4230X

model SCXI 11BEIBCO

Any help is most appreciated,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I am not able to access the apps

Jump to solution

You have a very old Roku player. The Roku 3 4230 was a fantastic player when it was new, but it has really fallen behind the latest models. Assuming you still use the remote it came with, it too is getting old. So you are saying that some buttons work on the remote but others don't? So the directional pad isn't moving the selector on the screen? Does Home and Back (the two large buttons at the top of the remote) work as expected? 

If it's just some buttons, you could use the Roku app on a phone or tablet and make sure there's nothing wrong with the Roku 3 itself. If the app is able to control the Roku without an issue, then you have a remote problem. 

You have several options if the remote is the problem.

• First is to replace the remote. Your Roku 3 will work with both the simple IR remote or the WiFi Direct remote. You could also pick up a universal IR remote from any store that sells such remotes, and they're most all $10 or less. 
  • Next you could just continue to use the phone app as the remote. As long as your Roku remains connected to your network, the app will work. But if you lose your WiFi connection a real remote will be necessary to reconnect. That isn't a problem if you use an Ethernet cable to connect your Roku.
  • The final option is to recognize you have a really old player (nine years old) and simply decide to replace it with a new model. A new WiFi direct remote is $20, but for $40 you could get a brand new Roku Express 4K+. You would lose the Ethernet jack (although it does support a 3rd party USB Ethernet adapter) but gain 4K/HDR, a much, much faster processor, better, faster WiFi, and far more operational and channel storage memory.

Honestly, I would strongly suggest the replacement option. Most likely Roku will be dropping support for your player within the next year (maybe even far sooner, but I really have no idea). For only $20 more than replacing your current WiFi remote you really get a far better player. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I am not able to access the apps

Jump to solution

You have a very old Roku player. The Roku 3 4230 was a fantastic player when it was new, but it has really fallen behind the latest models. Assuming you still use the remote it came with, it too is getting old. So you are saying that some buttons work on the remote but others don't? So the directional pad isn't moving the selector on the screen? Does Home and Back (the two large buttons at the top of the remote) work as expected? 

If it's just some buttons, you could use the Roku app on a phone or tablet and make sure there's nothing wrong with the Roku 3 itself. If the app is able to control the Roku without an issue, then you have a remote problem. 

You have several options if the remote is the problem.

• First is to replace the remote. Your Roku 3 will work with both the simple IR remote or the WiFi Direct remote. You could also pick up a universal IR remote from any store that sells such remotes, and they're most all $10 or less. 
  • Next you could just continue to use the phone app as the remote. As long as your Roku remains connected to your network, the app will work. But if you lose your WiFi connection a real remote will be necessary to reconnect. That isn't a problem if you use an Ethernet cable to connect your Roku.
  • The final option is to recognize you have a really old player (nine years old) and simply decide to replace it with a new model. A new WiFi direct remote is $20, but for $40 you could get a brand new Roku Express 4K+. You would lose the Ethernet jack (although it does support a 3rd party USB Ethernet adapter) but gain 4K/HDR, a much, much faster processor, better, faster WiFi, and far more operational and channel storage memory.

Honestly, I would strongly suggest the replacement option. Most likely Roku will be dropping support for your player within the next year (maybe even far sooner, but I really have no idea). For only $20 more than replacing your current WiFi remote you really get a far better player. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos