Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stopit
Binge Watcher

How to turn OFF "control my tv"

I replaced my old Roku with a new Roku Express 4K+. When setting up the remote I thought it would be convenient to choose the ability to use the controller to turn off the tv (the first option when setting up). This has caused no end of troubles. Now when I turn off the tv, whether with the remote or the tv button, it turns off the Roku as well. When I turn it on, the tv starts up but not the Roku. Push the button again and the Roku comes on but the tv turns off. If I keep randomly pushing buttons or unplugging the Roku and starting over it eventually turns on both the tv and the Roku, but the tv sound always comes in turned off, so I then need to go to my tv sounds settings and tell it to turn sound ON (NOT the volume button! Actually the sound settings in the tv's settings). This is completely ridiculous. I can't find any way to restore things to the way they were before.

Is there any way to fix this mess short of giving up on Roku altogether?

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to turn OFF "control my tv"

Try pressing Home on your Roku remote after you press the power button to turn on the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@stopit 

Are you powering the Roku via the included power supply, or with a USB port on the TV?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
stopit
Binge Watcher

I'll see if that helps, but I'd really just like to turn off the ability to use the Roku remote to control the tv at all. I tried doing factory reset but it still seems to be turning off the tv when I turn off the Roku, and vice versa. Can't I get it so the Roku remote controls only the Roku and has no effect on the tv itself? This business of turning the sound off is every time is ridiculous. And it's NOT the mute button. I actually need to go into the settings of my tv and tell it to turn on the tv speakers every time I turn the tv on now.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@stopit 

I figured it out. You think the power button is for the Roku. It's not. It and the volume buttons are for the TV, not for the Roku.

You don't turn a Roku off. It has no off switch.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
stopit
Binge Watcher

Nope, sorry, that's not it. I'm not trying to turn off the Roku. But the button does indeed turn it off. No matter how I turn off the tv, whether with the remote or with the button on the tv, the Roku goes off too. (In fact I just noticed that the tv can still be on but the Roku turns itself off.)

But the real problem is that every time I turn off the tv now, whether with the remote or the button on the tv, it takes about 10 minutes to get anything to work again the next time. I turn on the tv, the Roku turns off. Or I press the remote button, the Roku turns off and the tv turns on. Then the sound is now always turned off when the tv comes on. Not mute, the internal speakers are turned off in sound settings on the tv. I need to go into the sound settings every single time and tell the tv to use the tv speakers again, then go out to the tv before the sound will actually come back on, then I can go back to the Roku to get sound on the Roku. It's complete madness.

I just want to TURN OFF tv controls, so the Roku remote has NO EFFECT ON THE TV. How do I do that?

0 Kudos
stopit
Binge Watcher

I think I figured at least part of it out. There was a setting to automatically turn off the Roku after 20 minutes of inactivity. And another setting (which may or may not be in play) to automatically switch the "device" to the Roku when any Roku remote button was pressed. I inactivated both of those. I'm not sure why any of that would be messing with my tv's sound settings, but I've tried turning everything off and on a few times now and it seems so far to be working right. I'm not confident it will still be working in the morning, but maybe that solved it.

For some reason every time I turn off the tv the Roku light goes off, too. It is definitely NOT plugged in to the tv usb, but to the power adapter. I assumed when the blue light goes off that would mean the Roku had turned off. Maybe not? Maybe it was just the "20 minutes of inactivity" that would make it go off completely?

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@stopit-

Oops, sorry , didn't see your previous post when I wrote this:

This was referred to earlier.

This sounds like you are powering your Roku by plugging it into the USB port on the tv, most of which shut down when you turn off the tv.

Try powering it via the power adapter that came with it, plugged into house power.

Might you have both tv and Roku plugged into a power strip that turns off secondary outlets when the device plugged into primary outlet powers down?

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
makaiguy

@stopit-

If all else fails, have you tried just setting your remote up to control some tv other than your own?  Set it up again and lie when it asks if the sound stopped.  Of course you'll lose your ability to control the volume via Roku remote too.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
stopit
Binge Watcher

No, there are a number of things plugged into the same power strip. Nothing else shuts down. I don't know what it means, but the blue light on the Roku definitely goes off when the tv is turned off. However now that I disabled the "turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity" option, I don't see that it spends time powering up and rebooting. I don't know what the blue light means, then.

So far today it's working properly. It may have had something to do with automatic shut-down option, or the automatic switch-device option, or both, but at any rate I think things are now functioning as I expect.

0 Kudos