Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set remote to ONLY affect one device?

We are a family of gamers, so everyone has their own TV. 2 of these are Roku devices, and we have regular issues with one person turning their TV off, and it turns off both of them. Or hitting pause and pausing (or unpausing) the other person's show. Things like that. As you can guess, it gets VERY frustrating. Especially if you're in the middle of a boss fight and your TV suddenly turns off because someone else was turning theirs on. Is there any way to pair our remotes to ONLY work with one TV?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to set remote to ONLY affect one device?

Hi @ladybob1987,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

Thanks for reaching out about this, and we'd like to see more on what's going on here.

Could you tell us more about this? Are you using a universal remote? Or are you using a Roku remote?

Please be advised that Roku devices react to I.R. sensors, and if you're using a Roku simple remote, it could be possible that it will react to each device along its run. However, if you're using a Roku voice remote, this will only work on the Roku device with which it's paired.

With more information, we can dig deeper into it.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to set remote to ONLY affect one device?

@ladybob1987 

Abandon the IR remotes that Roku tvs cane with.replace with WiFi voice remotes for both. Which only controls one Roku at a time. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.