Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kat1957382

How to pair a new remote with a broken old remote and TV off

My old Roku remote on my Roku TV fell off the counter and broke. The TV is off so there is no way for me to turn it on. I live in an apartment with communal WiFi, so when I try to pair my app remote to the tv, I see options that do not belong to me, not that it would show up anyway because the TV is off. Is there any way for me to get the TV on either by connecting my app or by getting a new remote? From everything I’ve seen online, the TV has to be on to pair a new remote so I am not sure what to do. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to pair a new remote with a broken old remote and TV off

If its real Roku tv with Roku streamer built-in and has screen, just get IR universal remote like from Best Buy. Look for the Insignia 3, 5, and 8 device universal remotes, it has great preprogrammed Roku Tv code, tv 4398. Roku tv's use two very old tv codes that are even in universal remotes from 30 years ago. 

All models of Roku tv will pair with current Roku Wifi Voice remote, just unplug the power cord from the tv for a bit, plug it back in once Roku letters stop bouncing it's in Wifi remote sniffer mode for a bit and looking for Roku wifi remote signals to pair with. You can buy Roku wifi remotes separately at Walmart or Best Buy. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to pair a new remote with a broken old remote and TV off

Every TV I've ever seen has a power button, although it may be hard to find.  If it's not on the back or along an edge, feel around the manufacturer's emblem.  On my TCL TV it's a good inch or two behind the TCL badge at the bottom.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos