Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BlueSkyHi
Channel Surfer

How does the mute button on a Roku Remote function?

Jump to solution

I can find no resource either on Amazon, where I want to buy the new remote, nor can I get to a live person through Roku or so it seems so I have landed here.

My question is what, exactly, does the mute button on the remote do to mute the sound?  There are two ways to stop the sound:  1) is to send a signal to the television and have the television itself mute the sound.  2) the other way to mute the sound is to prevent the Roku streaming device from sending any audio to the television in the first place.

Which one of the two ways does Roku use to mute the sound?

Thank you ver much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: How does the mute button on a Roku Remote function?

Jump to solution

@BlueSkyHi It sends a signal to the TV to mute the sound. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@BlueSkyHi It sends a signal to the TV to mute the sound. 

BlueSkyHi
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That's too bad for me at least.  I use a home theater system to provide the sound and not the TV set so, in my case, the mute button would not function.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I program my Roku remotes to an incorrect TV so they do nothing and I use the AVR remote to do switching and audio.  Not that I ever press mute anyway, I press pause instead, but I didn’t want to accidentally mess with TV volume controls.

Banned but back. Because why not?
BlueSkyHi
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Programming to an incorrect TV is certainly an option.  I currently use a Roku remote without a mute button to turn the Panasonic plasma TV on and off and the remote for the AV system to do the volume and muting, etc.  I was hoping to be able to use a new Roku remote with the mute feature to turn the TV on and off but mute the HDMI output of the Roku.  I wonder is there is some way to use the audio return channel, if the TV and the AV system can utilize that channel and control the audio back from the TV to the AV receiver to control the audio that way?

Of course, Roku could design a remote that would allow you to program an AV receiver if they wanted to.  Does anyone make an aftermarket remote that would control the Roku AND allow you to program an AV receiver?

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@BlueSkyHi I would take your TV remote and check CEC settings on your TV and AV system to see if the TV volume willl control the AV system volume.  If you can get that to work a Roku remote with a volume and mute button would work great for your system.

BlueSkyHi
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@HDMIGuy thanks for the tip but "no joy".  My stuff is too old and the Panasonic version of C.E.C.,(VIERA Link, HDAVI,) may not work with what Sony has implemented.  I'll still play around with it and see if I can get something to work.  Other's have said that Apple TV 4k will do what I want but don't want to purchase another completely new system at this point.

Thanks for the thoughts!

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@BlueSkyHi   One option for an aftermarket remote that can use RF to control the Roku Ultra and programmable IR buttons to control the AV receiver and HDMI matrix is the Logitech Harmony Companion remote.

The Logitech Harmony Companion is a universal remote that can control up to eight devices, including the Roku Ultra, AV receiver, and HDMI matrix. It uses RF technology to communicate with the included Harmony Hub, which can be placed inside a cabinet or other hidden location. The remote also has programmable IR buttons, which can be customized using the Logitech Harmony app.

The Logitech Harmony Companion remote also has additional features, such as voice control, smartphone app control, and the ability to create custom activities that control multiple devices with a single button press. It is compatible with thousands of devices from various brands, making it a versatile option for controlling your home entertainment system.

Other aftermarket remotes that can be considered include the Inteset INT-422 4-in-1 Universal RF Remote, the BroadLink RM4 Pro Universal Remote, and the Sevenhugs Smart Remote X. However, they may not offer the same level of customization and compatibility as the Logitech Harmony Companion.

BlueSkyHi
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@HDMIGuy   The Broadlink 4 Pro and associated app looks interesting and inexpensive compared to the Logitech offering which I own one, an 1100, and continue to use today.  I downloaded the app and all of my Roku Ultras were immediately detected and work fine.

I was laboring under a misconception of what communications technology the Roku and it's associated remote was using.  I thought it was Bluetooth but I guess it's something else.  Do you know what RF frequencies that they utilize.

I decided to get the Broadlink 4 Pro and a 4 Pro Mini to play around with and see if they work for me.

Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@BlueSkyHi 

Roku RF remotes use WiFi-Direct, not Bluetooth.   The Roku 2 XS from 2011 I believe is the only model that used Bluetooth for its RF remote, but it has been long discontinued.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X