Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quantum_Cat
Reel Rookie

Re: Hey Roku, let us disable the branded shortcut buttons.

Depending on the remote model, the names on the advertisement buttons changed. So, perhaps at some future point, Roku can move away from this misbegotten strategy.

0 Kudos
logicman

how about the same consideration we get if we hit the home button while in youtube?

aka "switching to netflix, do you wish to continue or cancel?"

StevenCee
Roku Guru

Agree! I don't need any of those buttons! For the two-seconds it might save me, from having to choose Netflix or Amazon from the main menu, it costs me countless instances, when inadvertently touching one button, of interrupting what I'm watching.  Yet when I'm in Netflix, and hit the Home button, I have to press it several times, and hold it down, before it will finally leave Netflix, too easy in, not easy enough getting out....
And being so small, for people like me, with large hands, it's far too easy to trigger muting the sound, changing the channel, or even shutting it off, when just reaching for the remote!
I must very carefully pick it up so that I don't hit something that will take me somewhere else. Which is why the ability to disable the shortcut buttons would make so much sense.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku was paid to install those branded shortcut buttons, and I'm certain their contract does not allow for any method of removing or reprogramming those buttons. Yeah, it's a pain for those of us that don't use those specific services. What we received for putting up with buttons we can't use is a lower cost for the hardware. So that's the tradeoff, and it's unlikely to ever be changed due to contractual requirements. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
cdubbleyoo
Channel Surfer

I understand they're being paid to do it. That's why I said I'd pay more for one that doesn't have it, because I don't want it.

I also doubt, at this point, that The equipment is being subsidized by that marketing - I think it's just additional profit. However, I'd be interested to know whether that is the case.

StevenCee
Roku Guru

I understand they probably aren't going to do away with them...  However, why does it flip to Netflix or Hulu, etc, at the slightest touch (always accidental), then will stubbornly stay on the channel as I press & hold the Home button, sometimes having to press it several times before it finally relents and returns to the home screen.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I don’t think I’ve experienced either symptom in a Roku remote, though I have seen significant and annoying keypad variations in calculators, microwave ovens etc.  (Even some expensive devices.)

It might be worth trying another remote.  And, if you don’t have a stick model, there are many Roku-compatible remotes sold on amazon and ebay.  I tried looking for one on Amazon without any shortcuts and was surprised that I could find only one – and that one was described in terms of old Roku models and didn’t have a single customer review.

Banned but back. Because why not?
Quantum_Cat
Reel Rookie

I suspect it’s just an additional source of profit. I’d much prefer paying a bit more for programmable buttons. 

Serra
Streaming Star

I'm incredibly sick of picking up the remote and accidentally pressing one of those buttons, losing my show. I really don't care how much revenue they get from them because if it drives me to Apple TV, they get zero revenue. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Well, it looks like Apple TV is the only one that doesn't have branded buttons. I'm a bit surprised they don't have at least a Netflix button, since that seems to be on virtually every remote on every streaming device available. But yes, Apple TV remotes are free of any direct access buttons. Just remember in the Apple universe there will be many apps that are available on Roku that won't be on an Apple TV.  

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos