Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
En21b
Channel Surfer

Can’t connect to ROKU due to having a new network.

Ok here is my issue. I lost my remote to my ROKU and have been using a blue tooth remote on my phone which connected to the ROKU through my network. My router crapped out on me recently so therefore I could not connect to the ROKU using my phone. Now my ROKU is unconnected to the network and I don’t know how to connect my ROKU to my new network with being able to access the ROKU. 

I also bought a new controller but once I can get connected to the network I know how to get that situated. 

Any solutions or do I just need to get a new ROKU and start over? 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t connect to ROKU due to having a new network.

@En21b 

You need a remote to connect your Roku to the network.

You didn't say which Roku you have (the model name helps, but the model number is very helpful). So ...

If it's a stick, you need a Roku Voice Remote ($20) or Voice Remote Pro ($30). Either will work, and are available at Walmart, Best Buy, Target, and other retailers.

If it's a box, you can use get either Voice Remote, or a Roku Simple Remote ($15), available at the same retailers. Or, find a cheap universal remote for under $10 at Family Dollar, CVS, Walgreens, or other retailers (including those mentioned earlier).

If it's a Roku TV, you'll need a remote from the manufacturer, as they use a different code set from standard Roku devices. The Voice Remotes also work with Roku TVs.

But, this bothers me:

@En21b wrote:

... I also bought a new controller but once I can get connected to the network I know how to get that situated. ...

What do you mean you bought a new controller? A Roku remote? And that won't let you set it up? Does what I wrote earlier explain why? Or is it a mystery why a new Roku remote doesn't work? If so, give us more info about your Roku, including the model number.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

En21b
Channel Surfer

I’m not sure what the model name is of my ROKU. It is one that is attached to my TV via an HDMI cable and a little credit card sized box that is the receiver. 

I meant I bought a new remote when I said “controller”. Sorry for the mix up. The remote I bought did not work on the ROKU out of the box. Itcame with instructions on how to sync it to my ROKU once I can access the ROKU through the TV. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

The model number is usually molded into the bottom (in tiny print which is all black on black so it’s not easy to read.) The Roku should show up on your TV whether the remote is paired or not.  Use the TV remote to make sure the TV is set to the input where the Roku is attached.

0 Kudos
En21b
Channel Surfer

Model number is 3921X. Had to rip it off the TV to see it. 

0 Kudos
En21b
Channel Surfer

Ok a new change to the issue. After looking at Strega’s reply I realize my ROKU is on and playing through the TV. However, I cannot do anything with it as I have no remote connected to the ROKU. It is not connected to my network so I can’t use the phone app and the remote I have is not paired to the ROKU. Any solutions to this?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Try this procedure:

1. Remove the power cord from your Roku device
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds
  3. Re-connect the power cord
  4. Wait for your Roku device to power on, and the Home screen to appear on your TV screen
  5. Within 30 seconds of seeing the Home screen, press and hold the pairing button on your new voice remote for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash. If the light does not flash, try charging the remote or replacing the batteries. Refer to the diagram above for help locating the pairing button and status light.

If you do not see the remote pairing dialog screen, perform all steps again, making sure the pairing button is pressed within 30 seconds from when the Home screen first appears.

(I copied these steps from: https://support.roku.com/article/360011621473 which includes additional information such as pictures of the pairing button locations etc.)

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@En21b wrote:

... I have no remote connected to the ROKU. It is not connected to my network so I can’t use the phone app and the remote I have is not paired to the ROKU. Any solutions to this?

My earlier response still applies:

If it's a box, you can use get either Voice Remote, or a Roku Simple Remote ($15), available at the same retailers. Or, find a cheap universal remote for under $10 at Family Dollar, CVS, Walgreens, or other retailers (including those mentioned earlier).

The Voice Remote is what came with your Roku Premiere+ device. Get one and pair it. Or downgrade to an IR remote.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
En21b
Channel Surfer

I’d like to thank those that responded to my post. I have resolved the issue now that I was able to pair my remote to the ROKU. Thank you to especially to Strega as it was post that helped me sync my remote. 

Again thank you all! 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.