Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smillirons
Reel Rookie

Can’t connect remote after Factory Reset

Jump to solution

I got a Roku TV from my friend, but she lost the remote. I bought a new one, and as soon as I turned on the TV it connected. I couldn’t figure out how to remove all of her info (it literally wouldn’t let me remove her credit card?!) so I had to factory reset it. As soon as it reset, The remote no longer works. I can turn the TV on and off with it, but the rest of the buttons on the remote are useless. I bought the new remote directly from the Roku website, and obviously it works if it connected right away when I first turned on the TV. 

My remote does not have a pair button in the battery area, I’ve unplugged the tv, I’ve taken out and put back the remote batteries, I’ve put new batteries in, I pressed the reset button on the back of the tv, I tried looking everywhere for a reset button on this remote to no avail. I literally just pulled the remote out of the box, but clearly it had paired before I restarted it so it should work??

I can’t use the Roku app either to connect the remote manually, because I reset the TV it’s no longer on my Wi-Fi and therefor my phone can’t find it to connect to it. I’m stuck on the language screen and can’t move past it. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Can’t connect remote after Factory Reset

Jump to solution

Hi @smillirons,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Have you tried to press the Back and Home button at the same time for 5 seconds to see if a green light appears? A pairing message should appear on your screen. 

Let us know how it goes! 

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @smillirons,

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community!

We'd be more than happy to assist you with regard to your remote issues.

May we know what type of remote you recently bought? Here's our Support article to help you recognize: What type of remote does my Roku TV use?

With this information, we can provide you with an accurate resolution possible. We'll be looking forward to your response!

All the best,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
smillirons
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It’s one of the only three they offer on the website; the shipping said “Roku Voice Remote - RCA1R”

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @smillirons,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Have you tried to press the Back and Home button at the same time for 5 seconds to see if a green light appears? A pairing message should appear on your screen. 

Let us know how it goes! 

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
smillirons
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Oh my god finally. I’ve been at this for hours and in 5 seconds it was fixed. Thank you

0 Kudos
Howdydoody

Jump to solution

I have the same situation with my stick. Will this technique work using the remote app? So i dont need to purchase one.. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Howdydoody, you can't use the app if you performed a factory reset.  You need a physical remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

Jump to solution

Im having the same issue with a tv and simple remote and that did not fix the issue.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@haseltinematt5, "simple remote"?  Is this the remote that came with the TV or a different one?  The only simple remotes that work with Roku TVs are one from the TV's manufacturer or the new remote from Roku.  Simple remotes don't require pairing.

This remote was just released recently:

Roku TV Remote | Replacement Remote For Roku TV | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.