Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jffl

Can Roku streaming devices be controled by HDMI CEC?

I purchased a Roku Express 4k, and am disappointed to learn it cannot be controlled via HDMI CEC. Are there any Roku streaming products that can be controlled by HDMI CEC?

I understand that this device has the ability to issue CEC commands to my TV, such as changing the input, but I would rather do the reverse -- control my Roku with my TV remote (as I do with Kodi, and Chromecast). I will happily switch to a different Roku product if this feature is available.

3 REPLIES 3
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can Roku streaming devices be controled by HDMI CEC?

@jffl wrote:

I purchased a Roku Express 4k, and am disappointed to learn it cannot be controlled via HDMI CEC. Are there any Roku streaming products that can be controlled by HDMI CEC?

I understand that this device has the ability to issue CEC commands to my TV, such as changing the input, but I would rather do the reverse -- control my Roku with my TV remote (as I do with Kodi, and Chromecast). I will happily switch to a different Roku product if this feature is available.

Sorry but no. Only the very old 3400 mhl stick was controlled by the host tv in the same way cec would work. No Roku since can be controlled via cec. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
TheNachoCheese
Binge Watcher

My Roku 4 (4400x) works with CEC on an 8 year old JVC LCD TV. I don't really use the CEC function but I learned it worked by accidentally Fast Forwarding one day.

0 Kudos
ekopay

That's sad, I had a nowTV roku device and I was able to use it via the TV remote (new 4K smart tv supporting CEC) but now I have got a Roku Express 4k and I see that it's not able to be used with the TV remote. Hopefully they will update 😞

0 Kudos