Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
starshade

Can Roku Voice Remote control power and volume on devices that use RF (not IR) remotes?

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Voice Remote with my Roku Express 4k+ hooked up to the EZCast Beam J2 projector. I've tried to pair the remote to the projector for power and volume functionality, but it is not a supported brand. I've tried many of the supported brand setup codes just to see if anything would work, but no luck. I'm wondering now if it's even physically possible for this remote to pair with the device, as it seems the Roku remote is only using IR for TV control? The projector uses an RF remote, not IR. I'm wondering if anyone has a TV that uses a RF remote control that has been able to use the Roku Voice Remote for power and volume control? If anyone has, I'd like to know what brand so I can try and narrow down what codes I try to get my device paired. If not, is there a universal remote that can control Roku and a Projector/TV that uses an RF remote?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can Roku Voice Remote control power and volume on devices that use RF (not IR) remotes?

Jump to solution

No, it can't. It will only control Roku tv's, Soundbars, and Streambar's volume by Wifi er RF. Non-Roku Tv's are only controlled via IR. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Re: Can Roku Voice Remote control power and volume on devices that use RF (not IR) remotes?

Jump to solution

A Roku Voice remote is for TVs. Not a projector. It’s not like a universal remote. The voice remote actually uses WiFi direct. The simple remote is IR. There are tons of universal remotes out there that will work with Roku. Just be sure it says “Works with Roku”. Not Roku TV but Roku devices 

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

No, it can't. It will only control Roku tv's, Soundbars, and Streambar's volume by Wifi er RF. Non-Roku Tv's are only controlled via IR. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.