Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bri2020

Can I pair my roku remote to my vizio soundbar?

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I recently received a Vizio soundbar 36” 2.1 and was wondering if this can still come to my 65” Roku smart TV?

If so, is there a way to pair the soundbar remote with my current Roku TV remote? 

thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I pair my roku remote to my vizio soundbar?

Jump to solution

The only way the roku remote would control the vizio soundbar is via hdmi-cec. The roku controls the tv volume, and tv controls the vizio be sending signals over the hdmi cable. If you do not have an hdmi cable between the tv and soundbar, then forget it no volume control, sorry. In that case you would need a universal remote that controls roku tv's and soundbars. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

The only way the roku remote would control the vizio soundbar is via hdmi-cec. The roku controls the tv volume, and tv controls the vizio be sending signals over the hdmi cable. If you do not have an hdmi cable between the tv and soundbar, then forget it no volume control, sorry. In that case you would need a universal remote that controls roku tv's and soundbars. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Kieran449
Streaming Star

Re: Roku TV and Vizio soundbar

Jump to solution

So no IR control from the ROKU to the IR receiver of the Sound Bar.

ROKU seemed to pass up so much potential, especially with the ULTRA. eg. video file codecs are very limited.

0 Kudos
tatestream
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

There seems to be a lot of misinformation along the lines of "if you don't have hdmi" on the soundbar you can't pair with a roku remote and you'd have to get a universal remote.  I was headed down that path based on a few articles saying this same thing since my budget vizio soundbar doesn't have hdmi arc just optical.  The solution is to put the soundbar in learning mode (usually holding OK + Vol Up/Down, or Play + Vol Up/Down).  At this point light might be yellow.  From there you can use the Roku remote to volume up or down to sync through IR. 

Tags (1)
atc98092

Jump to solution

@tatestream if the soundbar has a learning mode, then you're correct. But that's not a common attribute of most home electronic devices. There are quite a few learning remotes, but not the devices themselves. If you select the correct IR code for the Roku remote to use, and then match it to the learning soundbar, it should be successful. But for most users, the correct answer is still HDMI-CEC is the only way to use a Roku remote to control the volume and power on the soundbar. Roku remotes only have codes for controlling TV sets via IR. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
tatestream
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

good point!  I was referring to specifically vizio soundbar sb2020n with the roku remote and it looks like other vizeo soundbars may have this learning mode option.. something else for others to try that have these specific devices.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi! Can you walk me through this? I have the same sound bar as you and I have a vizio tv and Roku with Roku remote. I got as far as the yellow light holding down ok and volume down on the sounds bar remote. But when I then try to use the roku remote to turn volume up or down it does nothing. Just wondering if I’m missing step or if I need my roku audio settings to be set differently before attempting this. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
coladan1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for this thread!  I am going full streaming mode and have a Vizio Soundbar and system Model s4251v-B4.  I pulled out the manual and did the IR learning mode and was able to get the Roku Remove that came with my Roku Ultra to work with the soundbar.  You saved me $250 bucks!

P.S. Now I just need to figure out how to get my Sony XBR-65X800B to not display TV Volume is Fixed on the TV display and I'm good!

0 Kudos
arjaysmithjr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

With a HISENSE ROKU TV, in OPTICAL, SB2020N-H6 (assume the same for other versions) if you press "PLAY" plus +, -, or mute simultaneously the light starts blinking (assume it is in learning mode) then press whichever function (+, -, or mute) you are trying to program on your ROKU remote???

Does absolutely nothing (unless it takes forever to discover the IR code)

Vizio manual says it will recognize IR commands.

Apparently NOT ROKU remote IR commands.

If ROKU would say what the IR codes are for +, -, or mute on their remotes,

Vizio SHOULD EASILY be able to issue a firmware upgrade,

but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@arjaysmithjr 

Your Hisense Roku tv oem remote could be wifi, so not giving off IR commands for your Vizio to capture. If it has microphone button it's WiFi, if it crescent moon key its IR. If it wifi unplug the tv power cord, the remote should switch back to IR, and you can use it to teach. Once the tv powered back up the Roku remote is Wifi again. 

Edmund

0 Kudos