Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anisoptera
Reel Rookie

Alternative/Accessible Remote?

Can a non-Roku remote be used for Roku? My son is disabled and he likes watching TV but I'm wondering if I can get him a bigger button remote to use instead of the Roku Remote we have...

7 REPLIES 7
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Alternative/Accessible Remote?

Yes, though it needs to be an IR-capable (non-stick) model that can be programmed to use Roku's codes - you'll lose Voice capability as well.

0 Kudos
tich00
Reel Rookie

Roku needs to develop a larger remote with larger buttons for senior citizens and folks with limited dexterity. Ever heard of the the ADA?

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @tich00

Thanks for sharing that with us! 

We're always looking to improve our products and appreciate your suggestion to add a large button on the remote. Feel free to share additional feedback, and ideas then post them here at  Suggest a Feature.

We strive to provide the best experience possible, and we always appreciate feedback from our customers.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Cheeroip
Binge Watcher

I developed a Roku remote If he is a Windows user.
The app support the excellent Adaptive controller from Microsoft (https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/xbox-adaptive-controller).
Roku Remote WindowsRoku Remote Windows
@Anisoptera : Feel free to message me if you need the link and for a promocode to get the application for free. 
I would love to have a feedback about how to make the application more accessible.

0 Kudos
Cheeroip
Binge Watcher

I think companies are afraid that having accessibility would make their product less appealing. lol
Feel like 100 years ago when families used to hide people with disabilities. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Tdawg4evr

Did you ever find a remote that works? My 96 year old mother-in-law is having similar problems'.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Tdawg4evr wrote:

Did you ever find a remote that works? My 96 year old mother-in-law is having similar problems'.

There are numerous universal IR remotes that can be used on Roku players. Many are designed for use like this. But as @UserOfStreamers mentioned it has to be a Roku player that supports IR. This would be any Roku player EXCEPT the Stick models. You can tell a Roku Stick from other players because the Stick can plug directly into the TV without a cable. So as long as the Roku uses an HDMI cable to connect to the TV, it supports IR control. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos