Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmarder22
Reel Rookie

All Roku voice commands get error

I purchased a Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ device last December.   My wife is disabled and has great difficulty pushing buttons on any remote.  This Roku remote offers the feature that you can make voice commands without pushing a button.  We were able to use the voice command until a month ago.  Now, all voice commands get an error in the following form, "<command> is unavailable".  For example, I would say, "Hey Roku forward 2 minutes".  I would get the following messages,

Listening ...

Thinking ...

Forwarding a time amount is unavailable.

Another example, I would say, "Hey Roku Pause".  I would get the following messages,

Listening ...

Thinking ...

Pause is unavailable.

Clearly, the Roku understands my voice request but is unable to complete it.  I even used the microphone button on the remote and tried voice commands.  I get the exact same error messages.  I have rebooted the Roku Streaming Stick and unpaired and re-paired the remote.  No success.  I don't know if the problem is a defective remote or defective streaming stick ... or something else?  Should I pursue this as a warranty issue?  I just want this to work so my wife can use the remote again.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: All Roku voice commands get error

Hi! @mmarder22,

Thank you for reaching out to the Roku Community!

We're sure we will get your Roku voice remote pro issue resolved positively.

We are making it easier to navigate your Roku streaming device with voice capabilities that range from finding content on your favorite channels to controlling your Roku TV to starting playback of movies and TV shows on The Roku Channel. This article provides a comprehensive overview of the types of voice commands you can use to interact with your Roku streaming devices. What voice commands can I use with my Roku streaming device?

For additional support links, please check out this: How to use voice to search and control your Roku streaming device.

Please keep us posted on what you find out and will be more than happy to continue assisting you further.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mmarder22
Reel Rookie

Hi Arjiemar,

The Roku understands my voice commands such as pause and forward. It says the specific command “is unavailable.” My problem is that the Roku doesn’t execute any voice command. 

I’ve spoken voice commands to the hands-free remote, using the remote’s microphone button, and the Roku app remote. The result is the same. No voice command is executed. 

Mitch

0 Kudos
mmarder22
Reel Rookie

I reset my Roku again.  The primary app I use is the MLB app.  I continue to get "<command> is unavailable" errors on that app.  However, when I try other apps such as Peacock, Hulu, max, and others the voice commands are working properly.  It appears the problem may be the MLB app itself.

I deleted and re-installed the MLB app and it still doesn't execute voice commands.  Any suggestions on how to fix this problem with the MLB app?

Mitch

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@mmarder22,

Thanks for the response!

We recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: How to resolve issues with your Roku® simple remote or Roku voice remote | Official Roku Support

Let us know how it goes, and we'll continue working on it.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos