Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote draining batteries

Jump to solution

Hi @Ronmclark,

Thanks for reaching out and providing me with your information.
I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you via email.
We appreciate your patience for the time being!

Many thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos
khkim18
Reel Rookie

Re: New Batteries Die every 2 weeks on Roku Remotes

Jump to solution

Serial Number YH00CE655563

Swapped batteries 3x in 3 weeks now.  Last trial was showing 80% battery left.  Turned off the TV and next day the battery was dead.  Frustrating.  

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @khkim18,

We appreciate you for keeping in touch and providing information.

I apologize for your experience here. I can understand how that may be frustrating but not worry, I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Please stay safe and healthy, we thank you for your patience.

Many thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

One guaranteed way to use fewer batteries if you have an Roku that is not a TV* or a streaming stick.

Downgrade to a simple IR remote. 

Clones readily available on eBay, Amazon, official ones via Roku, or many 3rd party replacement remotes will have codes for Roku.

Personally I like the Oneforall 7935. This model can setup shortcut buttons and volume/mute to match existing remote, in "learning mode".  To "learn" from a Roku wireless remote, turn roku fully off (no power), remove/replace batteries, remote will now send IR codes which you can use to teach the Oneforall for other buttons using Oneforall instructions).

(Some TV can also use standard IR remotes, some can't, and most IR remotes lack volume controls. @Tivoburkee may be able to advise for specific TV models)

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
junglejp
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@MilesT wrote:

One guaranteed way to use fewer batteries if you have an Roku that is not a TV* or a streaming stick.

Downgrade to a simple IR remote. 

Clones readily available on eBay, Amazon, official ones via Roku, or many 3rd party replacement remotes will have codes for Roku.

Personally I like the Oneforall 7935. This model can setup shortcut buttons and volume/mute to match existing remote, in "learning mode".  To "learn" from a Roku wireless remote, turn roku fully off (no power), remove/replace batteries, remote will now send IR codes which you can use to teach the Oneforall for other buttons using Oneforall instructions).

(Some TV can also use standard IR remotes, some can't, and most IR remotes lack volume controls. @Tivoburkee may be able to advise for specific TV models)

Why would you do that if you paid for a Roku remote?   Roku should resolve the problem since it is obvious the problem is widespread.  

Lim3

Jump to solution

Serial number: YH0038752700

0 Kudos
DOuGpRATt
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Leaving the remotes idle doesn't drain the charge, which means the next likely culprit is the RF circuitry. Amazon's Fire TV stick remotes also have a radio, and without excessive battery draining. My 2-year-old 4K Fire TV stick is still running on its original batteries.

sunshinelori
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

I just sent this letter to the support team at Roku.

If you have any additional information or input can you please provide it.

thank you

my letter:

I would like to start off by saying that I really appreciate all of the support that I have received.

Unfortunately both replacements I have received are draining my brand new batteries just as quickly as the original one has.

I monitored the battery level in the Roku settings and the batteries went from fully charged and decreased day by day.

Actually the battery life indicator was lighting up while viewing a movie or show.

I believe the issue is with the remote itself that was designed to use with the roku streaming stick + models.

I have seen others who received replacement remotes having the same battery drainage issue.

I have a Samsung TV for 3 years and have only replaced the batteries once.

I wish Roku would make right by its consumers and fix this issue as a recall and provide us with a remote that would be void of this rapid battery drain issue.

It is unfortunate b/c I really do enjoy using Roku but I will just use my Samsung apps and on occasion use the app on my phone to watch Roku.

I just wanted to make you aware of this ongoing situation and hopefully Roku will make right by all of us experiencing this issue.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Lori Natoli

TexasIndian
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hopefully I'm gonna be read by "MARY" also as I'm having the exact same issue.

Initially had a "batteries barely last a week" issue with newest streaming stick+ (3810?);

but ROKU sent replacement...no issues since (however batteries only last about month).

However, NEW issue is for different remote (model Streaming Stick (3600?)....batteries

are barely lasting 12 hours!!  Have replaced with brand new batteries (checked by tester

before installing) 5 times last 2 days.  PLEASE assist or ship new, operable replacement

remote (it's the holidays...school's out...and I have 7 visiting grandkids!!).

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Lim3,

Thanks for reaching out and providing me with your information.
I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.
Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos