Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ltc27

Roku Express not responding to remote

I just got a Roku express.  I set it up on Monday with no problems and it worked Monday night, but stopped working the next night.  I watched a movie on Hulu with subtitles, then after the movie I started watching something else and went to turn off the subtitles, and it froze in that menu and wouldn't do anything no matter which buttons I pushed.  I tried changing the batteries in the remote, but it still didn't work.  I tried unplugging the Roku for awhile, and when I turned it back on, it was on the home screen, but still wouldn't work.  I tried the reset button but now it's just stuck on the language selection screen.  The light on the Roku just keeps blinking and it's not responding to the remote at all.  It was working perfectly, I don't know why it would just suddenly stop working after not even 2 days.

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express not responding to remote

Hey @ltc27

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Please reply here with the serial number of your Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our team for further assistance.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ltc27

S008325SA80R

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Your Roku Express (unless it's a Express 4K+, model 3941) comes with a simple infrared remote.

You can test whether an IR remote is actually issuing IR signals by pointing at a digital camera, one in a phone or tablet will do, and observing on the camera's viewscreen while you press buttons on the remote.  If the remote is issuing IR signals you should see them flashing at the top end of the remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@ltc27

Thanks for the reply.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

In the meantime, you can try the suggestion provided by @makaiguy.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

I am experiencing this same issue. My unit's serial number is S00831A9XV04 . I did the IR test with my cell phone camera as suggested and did not see a signal register with the Roku Express Remote.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@martinmonicad

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cs21

I am having same issue and I have the light flash when I have my camera on it. The app isn’t registering my device to use remote in there. And my screen says I need to press reset button on my remote and there is no button.

image.jpg

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Cs21, what is the model number written on your Roku device somewhere and are you sure there isn't a button inside the battery compartment?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Thenutt30
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same problem out of my Roku express I have 3 different simple remotes and they all 3 are working when tested them with a camera my s# is X004006N8AC2 any input on how to fix would be great

0 Kudos