Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snoopy42
Reel Rookie

How to quickly fix battery drain from point-anywhere Roku remotes

Jump to solution

My RC-AL2 remote for my Roku streaming stick (3800) is going through batteries fast.  I shouldn’t have to change batteries every 2 weeks.  I’ve tried the system reset suggestion to no avail.  The battery warning indicator for the remote control keeps displaying on my TV screen.  Please help.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to quickly fix battery drain from point-anywhere Roku remotes

Jump to solution

@Snoopy42--

There is some evidence that one cause of battery drain for those with point-anywhere remotes that connect to the Roku via WiFi-direct can be use of a router channel that is crowded by nearby routers using the same channel. The remote has to work too hard constantly sorting through the information packets from other devices using the same channel and it may accelerate the battery drain.

If you have access to your router's setup, try configuring it to use a different WIFI channel to see if this helps the situation. In the 2.4 GHz band, channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap each other and thus give you the best chance at reducing congestion, so try each in succession, although depending on what channels your neighbors are using other channels may work best. Also, reducing router bandwidth from 40 to 20 kHz may also reduce interference.

Reducing congestion and interference can also improve your data transmission rates.

Please report back to let us know how you make

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Snoopy42--

There is some evidence that one cause of battery drain for those with point-anywhere remotes that connect to the Roku via WiFi-direct can be use of a router channel that is crowded by nearby routers using the same channel. The remote has to work too hard constantly sorting through the information packets from other devices using the same channel and it may accelerate the battery drain.

If you have access to your router's setup, try configuring it to use a different WIFI channel to see if this helps the situation. In the 2.4 GHz band, channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap each other and thus give you the best chance at reducing congestion, so try each in succession, although depending on what channels your neighbors are using other channels may work best. Also, reducing router bandwidth from 40 to 20 kHz may also reduce interference.

Reducing congestion and interference can also improve your data transmission rates.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Snoopy42
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku remote battery drain

Jump to solution

Wow, thank you so much @makaiguy .  That is one of the most detailed explanations I’ve read in this topic so far.  And it makes perfect sense, so thank you for taking the time to share it.  I have a TCL Roku TV downstairs (no issues), but a Roku Streaming Sitck in the bedroom, and I never thought about any differences in the way the two remotes work.  Once I figure out how to access the settings in my Spectrum- provided wireless router, I will report back on the result.  

Thank you again. 

0 Kudos
DOuGpRATt
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku remote battery drain

Jump to solution

You're saying that the remote has a WiFi connection to the player that operates on 2.4 GHz, regardless if the player is on a 5 GHz channel? (The lack of support for Dynamic Channel Selection in 5 GHz is another matter.) What is the evidence that a crowded 2.4 GHz channel is a problem for Roku's remotes, and why doesn't Amazon's Fire TV RF remote design have the problem?

@makaiguy wrote:

@Snoopy42--

0 Kudos
Joe9523
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My stick Roku drains very quickly, i tried to do the reset, didn’t work,using better batteries,  and I have 1000 mbs, I think that’s what they’re called. There is only me and my wife, I only use the remote at night going to bed, my wife’s tv is connected to the Xfinity box. Something is wrong, you guys need to Own it because it is happening to too many people,

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Joe9523

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos