Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kombat

Re: Cannot connect to Roku to Wifi without remote

Jump to solution

It can be done if you know the wifi settings saved on the Roku. You'll need two mobile devices. On one, setup a mobile hotspot with the same SSID and password that's saved on the Roku. When the Roku comes on it should connect to the hotspot. Then connect  the second device connect to the hotspot. Voila. Roku and device are on the same wifi network. Now you can use the Roku app as a remote.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Kack10 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku TV.

Check out some wireless troubleshooting tips on our Support page here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Connecting Roku to WiFi without the remote

Jump to solution

I cannot connect the Roku to hotel WiFi without the remote. I can’t use my phone remote like at home because they are not connected to the same WiFi. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting Roku to WiFi without the remote

Jump to solution

Your statement is absolutely true.  You need a remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
exploding

Remote is lost

Jump to solution

I lost my remote a while back and have been using my phone. But I had to factory reset because the previous owner of the tv doesn’t know the pin so it’s impossible for me to do anything, and I had no idea that if I factory reset I couldn’t do anything. Do I absolutely need a new remote?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Re: Remote is lost

Jump to solution

Sorry but yes. This a Roku tv, actual tv with a screen? Cheapest would be to go to ebay, roku brands like tcl, insignia, jvc, magnavox, westinghouse, philips, sanyo, and onn all use the same IR tv code. Stay away from Hisense & Sharp. 

Fastest would be to go to walmart, they have a true roku voice remote sold separately, it would need to be paired with roku tv first. They also sell the One-For-All streamer universal remote urc-7935, works great with Roku tv and is on sale at $16.88. The voice remote at walmart is $19.88.P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Here it is next to Roku tv wifi remote.

Edmund

Setup Roku no remote

Jump to solution

Trying to setup Roku express but lost remote and new WiFi. App can’t find device to setup new wifi

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Re: Setup Roku no remote

Jump to solution

The Roku app on a phone or tablet can only connect to a Roku that is already set up and connected to the same network the phone or tablet is on.  That means the Roku app on your phone or tablet can't be used to connect and do anything with a Roku not yet set up on your current network.

If the Roku was originally connected to a net and if it has not had a factory reset since then, it is still trying to connect to the old network name (SSID) and password as was used previously. If you can reset your current router to use this SSID and password, then your Roku should connect. At that point, the Roku app on a mobile device connected to that same net should be able to find and control your Roku.

Otherwise, you'll need to have a remote compatible with your Roku model to set up your connection to the new network/password.

All units other than Roku sticks will respond to a shared set of infrared (IR) commands so any cheap universal remote you find at Walmart or a dollar store that says it is compatible with Roku will work as long has you have a direct line of sight to the Roku. Or you can buy one from Roku via https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player#Remotes

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
WifiNoRemote
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I can't believe no one has given the best answer for a home user yet. Kombat's solution will not work if the Roku has been reset or is new, since it will have no saved network.

If you're using this Roku somewhere like your house, and you have access to the router for your wireless network, then just connect the Roku to the router with an Ethernet cable. Then it will be on the same network that your phone is connected to wirelessly, so the Roku app on your phone will be able to find the device and you can use it as a remote. You then need to go to Settings-> Network-> Set up connection-> Wireless so that you can set the Roku up to connect to your network wirelessly (without the Ethernet cable). If your Roku is near your router anyway, feel free to just leave the wired connection instead. I hope this helps anyone in need.

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

You do know only the Roku Ultra has a a ethernet port? So roku owners with express, express+, premiere, premiere+, soundbar, Ultra lt and stick+ are out of luck. 

Edmund