Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Extra buttons *%!!&**

Jump to solution

These remotes are a pain to open.  There's several different types, but all the ones I've opened have one screw in the battery compartment and then it's tough to separate the two halves.  It takes good fingernails or something thin, but sturdy.  A guitar pick or old credit card may help.  If you manage to get it apart you can either cut out the buttons leaving the holes which I just cover with tape or put a piece of tape under the buttons so that they no longer make contact when pressed.  Because the remotes are such a pain to open some just cut out the buttons with a something like an X-acto knife.  Again, this leaves holes that should be covered.

There's no way to reprogram them although some "master hacker" claims he can with no other information offered.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ethyss
Level 9

Jump to solution

The 2 remotes I have do not have any screws in the battery compartment at all.  I had to pick and cut and Yank the buttons out of the front.  Then we had to tape over the holes - could not get inside/underneath.    I hope Roku reads theses posts and realizes what a pain they are !   

One poster mentioned re-programming the buttons -- HEY ROKU,  WHAT A BRIGHT IDEA  !!!!!

Such a simple thing Roku could do to make customers happy !

0 Kudos
Davenlr
Level 9

Jump to solution

I wonder how much money they get paid by the companies whos buttons are on the remote?  I would be willing to pay my remotes share to have 4 programmable buttons and keycaps to match.

0 Kudos
ethyss
Level 9

Re: Roku Remote Quick Buttons

Jump to solution

Hey EPGPX,

Several posters have remarked:   it would have been nice if you shared your 'expert hacker' info to reprogram those buttons.  At the very least  . . . ..   please?

Galning
Level 7

Jump to solution

Better yet it would be great if they had a selection of remotes & you could pick or purchase the button combo that you preferred. I personally would like youtubetv as a button.

0 Kudos
ethyss
Level 9

Jump to solution

I'd still prefer programmable. 

What if you changed your mind and one day no longer wanted YouTube tv?

If they had a page where you could enter what you wanted and it programmed the button, you'd get what you want and  - - - - they'd know what the Roku-public preferred!   

Win-win situation !

Galning
Level 7

Jump to solution

I agree. I'm up to the button programming as I use a One For All remote that can be programmed with macros. I just thought of hard coded buttons after spending some time with an electronics challenged user!😁

0 Kudos
Jsparks
Level 7

Re: is there a way to change the naive buttons

Jump to solution

It would be nice if we could buy a replacement remote without the branded buttons for products we don't use.  That way, Roku could get their promo money from the channels but Roku customers could get rid of the buttons on the remote that they don't like if the Roku customers were willing to pay extra to get rid of them - which I definitely am.

0 Kudos
ethyss
Level 9

Re: is there a way to change the naive buttons

Jump to solution

Roku might be more motivated if . .. 

a remote with USER-PROGRAMABLE buttons . . .   Users would program via the Roku website, or when linking the device, or saved to the app when pairing the remote.  That way Roku could collect info on which channels users are most interested.   Talk about tracking user-input!

But at least we'd get what we want, too.  Win-Win !

0 Kudos