Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
capirani
Channel Surfer

Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio.

Only on my ROKU channel, I am having the same problem.  It isn't the first ad.  It is sporadic as it will run perfectly and then freeze on one of the ads while the show resumes audio only.  I have to use the back arrow and reload which will hold for awhile and then it freezes again.  I can still watch but it is greatly annoying to have to keep using the back arrow, go through another set of ads just to watch anything.  None of the other channels are doing this.  

Can't contact ROKU about this apparently.  Do they read these posts?

42 REPLIES 42
capirani
Channel Surfer

Re: Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio.

This happens on my ROKU but only when I am using the actual ROKU channel.  It just started a couple weeks ago. The ads seem to be the same as always.  I have been using ROKU for a few years without a problem.  None of my other channels on ROKU have this problem with the ads.  We really should be able to contact actual ROKU support on this situation.  Bad business not to be able to contact the company through a chat or support page feedback page.  I will try to remove the channel and reinstall it.  

ChrissyMarie
Binge Watcher

Re: Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio.

Same issue I’m having only on roku channel

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio. Using Express.

Hello @capirani @ChrissyMarie

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing. 

Does the issue only occur on specific content within The Roku Channel? Also, if you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel and then reinstall it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
capirani
Channel Surfer

Re: Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio. Using Express.

I am noticing it is happening with a couple newer ads such as the new Minions movie and Scelara medication for example.  

I tried to uninstall the channel but that option did not come up in the menu like it does for the other channels.  I already have plenty of other issues such as having to unplug the device several times a day or it messes up.  In all honesty, I think that these are ROKU issues and should be fixed by ROKU, especially if it is new ads causing the problem.  Why should we, the customers, have to do all these things for the product to work properly.  I am disabled so this makes things difficult to have to go through all these things to make this product work properly.  You guys added these ads.  Make sure they work properly before adding them???  My television and ROKU device is not within arm's reach so, being disabled, it makes it difficult to have to follow your process, having to get up to unplug, etc. yet again, and hope the darn thing works.  I mean, shouldn't it be your responsibility to make sure your customers don't have issues like this?

Michelle3
Roku Guru

You should’ve followed these steps in order:

1. Remove the app.  Press * and then press “Remove channel.”
2. Settings > System > Power (if not applicable, skip to next step) > System restart.  
3. Once the device is restarted, reinstall the app.

Issues occur on occasion.  If you can’t get over it, then you’re basically out of luck.  Sometimes, unplugging the device doesn’t solve the issue, and you’d have to check the ad settings on a specific app to be able to disable them.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
capirani
Channel Surfer

I am unable to remove the channel.  As per the normal way of removing channels with the menu, on this one channel, it does not offer the option to remove channel.  So if I could, I would have done that already.

0 Kudos
ChrissyMarie
Binge Watcher

I already uninstalled it reset it then reinstalled it reset it. Still keeps doing it. As someone mentioned it’s probably because the commercials aren’t the same output as the shows that are on the roku app. I’ve tried different shows and movies all on the roku app and it happens on all of them not sure if it’s just certain commercials causing it for now I’m just gonna delete the roku app as no point in dealing with the hassle of trying to watch a show or movie on the app and doesn’t seem that roku wants to fix it. Will reinstall once roku provides an update/fix that works.

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@capirani @ChrissyMarie

Appreciate the reply.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  4. Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to the appropriate Roku team to investigate the issue.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ChrissyMarie
Binge Watcher

1.I’m not posting all my device info so it’s out for everyone to see especially hackers. This is why Roku needs a customer service chat.

As stated it is only happening on the Roku app. on Roku express…

Software version 11.0.0 4193-AE

Channel version 6.0.15, GC 7.3.71

Ive checked for updates and it said my roku is up to date.