Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku EXpress unit keeps Overheating

My Roku Express+ plus is overheating, even though the power cord is plugged directly to an outlet.  It is the only thing on top the tv stand, with a lot of open area.  I barely get it plugged in and it is already giving me the message “Your device is overheating”, but it has only been on for about 2 minutes.  It doesn’t matter if the unit is unplugged from the outlet for a long period of time.  As soon as I plug in to the power cord and the HDMI, and powers on -it gives me this message right away.  How do I fix this?  I don’t have any problems with my other Roku Express+. 

BlackWidow-13

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Re: Roku EXpress unit keeps Overheating

What is the exact model number of your Roku?  When did you purchase your Roku?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@BlackWidow-13 

That's definitely not good.

If the device is under warranty, I'd suggest a warranty replacement. If it's brand new, I'd take it back to Walmart and exchange it.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @BlackWidow-13,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team to assist you further in this problem. Kindly include the serial number/device ID of your Roku device by going to Settings > System > About.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Sorry if I give little info about my unit.

It is dark grey, 2'' round. Attached to a Sharp TV.

I get 2-3 overheating messages on my TV screen per week recently

The TV has been off now for 12 hours--the unit is warm to the touch.

I hope that you can help.

Joe Mansfield

Arlington, MA

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MRTestpattern,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot overheating issues: What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message | Official Roku ...

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device by going to Settings> System > About so we can assist further.

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
1-Ozz
Reel Rookie

Another overheating issue with Express + Device  Model 3910RW

I've used this device, in its current location (on top of a cabinet in open air, not close to any other devices, equipment, or heat source)  for well over a year.  In the last few weeks I've experienced audio drop out and the "Device is overheating"  on screen message.

What puzzles me is that it been working fine in the same location for well over a year and the overheating issues have just started recently.  Ambient temp in the room when it happened this morning was 70F. Unplugging it works for a time but then the issue comes back again and again.  I also have a ceiling fan in the room that is often on and circulating air around room/device and it still happens.

Is the device aging out? Power supply failing (5VDC @1A adapter)? Or something else?  I have 3 Roku devices and I love the features and capabilities but, this overheating issue is becoming unacceptable.  

Roku support - can you help?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @1-Ozz

We're here to help!

Please reply here with the Device ID of your Roku Express+ 3910RW. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our team who can assist you further.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
1-Ozz
Reel Rookie

Model 3910RW

Serial # YG004D566966

Device Id:  C539245669666

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@1-Ozz

Thanks for the reply.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos