Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlegitt

Roku 3 4200x Only Shows Background(no apps)

My Roku 3 (4200X on bottom of device) randomly restarted a while ago. After the bootup screen, all I see is the background image with no apps or menus shown.

- I've unplugged it for up to 15 minutes and restarted multiple times.
- I've let it sit for nearly two hours to see if it is slowly updating.
- I've replaced the HDMI cable AND changed the HDMI input on the TV.

It's now been several hours and it still just shows the background image. However, every 5 minutes or so it will restart itself. Any suggestions on getting it to work or is it a lost cause?

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Roku 3 4200x Only Shows Background(no apps)

This same thing just started happening to me and I see you just posted this. I’ve tried everything as well. It locks on the home screen with no apps, then restarts periodically 

sfeinst
Channel Surfer

I reset my Roku and I can't get past the email activation.  I checked down detector and it appears a lot of people having issues with their Roku.  I'm betting their site is down which probably breaks all Rokus.

jlegitt

The only other thing I noticed is that my LG "smart tv" did an automatic update just before this started happening. I don't see how that would prevent the Roku from showing menus and apps though.

Same just happened to mine. Tried all the same things

0 Kudos
char51

Just happened to me also, have another Roku but it is working fine.  apps just appeared but when se

mgoff12
Reel Rookie

I thought my tv busted but I am having the same issue.  All I see is TCL-Roku TV with a background and after about 10 min it shuts off and restarts

mgoff12
Reel Rookie

Also because it is a "smart TV"  I can't even use my dvd player or anything else!  I am so upset!

0 Kudos
Nhunt23
Reel Rookie

Same issue here thanks for the post Im not all one if anyone finds a resolution please post

0 Kudos
RAD2

Roku has posted they are having service interruptions 

0 Kudos