Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Using Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ Wired & Without Remote

It is possible to use a SS 4K/4K+ (382x) wired & without the remote - this is due to the fact that the 382x series shares the same SoC (Realtek RTD131x) as other newer models (480x/394x), and thus has the same native USB capabilities.

Desirable for use cases involving: 

1) Lost remote:  $20-30 to replace, vs $10-15 for USB>Ethernet adapter

2) Lost/unreplaceable Advanced/Long-range Wireless Receiver (WR002):  currently unavailable, making the remote unusable if unavailable.

3) WiFi interference/instability/unavailability

4) Faster (>100Mbps) Ethernet performance:  requires Cable Matters adapter (1Gbps Ethernet port)

Requirements:

1) SS 4K/4K+ must be initially setup/configured using original (or compatible WiFi Direct) remote.

2) A compatible USB>Ethernet adapter (e.g. Cable Matters Micro USB to Ethernet 480Mbps adapter).

3) A phone/tablet/device with the Roku Mobile (or compatible) app to use as a remote control.

Steps:

1) Disconnect "Advanced/Long-range Wireless Receiver" (WR002) USB cable from SS 4K/4K+ (set aside and store with original remote).

2) Connect Micro USB connector from USB>Ethernet to Micro USB port of SS 4K/4K+.

3) Connect Ethernet cable from modem/switch/router/gateway to Ethernet port of USB> Ethernet adapter.

4) Connect SS 4K/4K+ to HDMI port of TV/AVR/SB.

5) Power on USB>Ethernet adapter

6) Control SS 4K/4K+ using Roku Mobile (or compatible) app via phone/tablet/device.

NOTES:

1)  Use of original (or other) WiFi Direct remote not possible since Advanced/Long-range Wireless Receiver (WR002) is not connected - SS 4K/4K+ MUST be controlled via Roku Mobile (or compatible) app

2) Use of Cable Matters USB>Ethernet adapter is preferred due to Gigabit Ethernet port (results in higher wired throughput than is otherwise possible via Fast/100Mbps Ethernet ports, including on the Ultra), though any adapter with a compatible chipset is usable:  https://support.roku.com/article/360058027813

3) NOT compatible with any other SS (different SoCs).

5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Using Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ Wired & Without Remote

This is pretty cool, but doesn't the stick complain about not having the wireless receiver connected?

It's not for me because I'd never use an app as a remote, but if you could connect both the wireless receiver and this to give your stick wired Ethernet, then I might try it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@renojim 

The stick doesnt complain at all because of the native USB networking capabilities of the Realtek RTD1315 SoC - it automatically senses & configures for wired networking access (lists as wired, just like the 394x models).

It might not be for you (or others) now, while you have a (working) AWR/LRWR, but if it ever dies/breaks/disappears, you can still use your SS 4K/4K+ for $10-15 (assuming one doesn't already have a USB>Ethernet adapter - I have several USB>Ethernet adapters already for all sorts of Roku/Fire/Android/LG/etc Ethernet port-lacking streaming devices, in which case the cost is $0).

As far as dual/simultaneous wired/wireless, I have given it some thought, though I'll need to dig a little deeper into the RTD1315 and USB>Ethernet & USB OTG adapter chipsets/specs and do some experimenting before declaring it possible/impossible or reasonably feasible (its on a long to-do list)

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

The cable matters adapter says in its title not compatible with Roku? 

Edmund

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Almost all of the Roku-compatible USB>Ethernet adapters' Amazon listings state they dont support Roku or "Roku Stick/Express" - most of these pages were made years before the Express 4K/4K+ were released in spring 2021 (let alone the Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ last fall), so the information doesnt apply for the new RealTek RTD131x SoC-based models - they are all compatible (good luck getting the vendors to change their Amazon product page information):

https://support.roku.com/article/360058027813

All the adapters listed as compatible with the Express 4K/4K+ are also compatible with the Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ (there are additional compatible adapters not listed, these are just the ones Roku tested in spring 2021 when the article was first released with the release of the Express 4K/4K+).

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

@UserOfStreamers 

I purchased the cable matters adapter, it has ethernet port, with two usb cables coming out, one usb-A and the other micro-usb. Plugging an ethernet cable and using the micro-usb cable didn't work on either express 4k+ nor the SS 4k+. The two-color lights on the ethernet port never lit. So, I decided to plug the usb-A cable into usb power adapter and now it works with both Roku's. On the Express 4K+ you have a pick of wireless or wired internet. On the SS 4K+ there is only wireless listed, but it isn't checked like usual, and I have internet. Only remote control of the SS 4k+ is by cellphone app. No Long-Range receiver is connected. 

Edmund

0 Kudos